Just the Bees Knees ..............


My father-in-law's sister, May Atkinson - a most wonderful person (the Bees Knees is a 1920s expression for a wonderful person).  She grew up in the East End of London, born within the sound of Bow Bells, so therefore a true Cockney!  I love this photograph and am pleased to say that even into her eighties her hair was always "crimped" and she wore a very fine black net over it to keep it in place.  She was a lover of life!

I decided that some of my layouts are becoming a bit "samey" (even though I like them!) so I decided that I would do something quite different and inky for this month's Swirlyhues challenge.  Thankfully it suited this month's colours which were quite a challenge to put together. 


I used a complete hotch potch of supplies:



I dragged Glimmer Mists and Smooch Spritz over cream card for the background and then used Antique Linen Distress Ink over a large mask.  I toned down the inks a bit with some splodges of white gesso (how I love that stuff!) I used Tarnished Brass Distress Crackle Paint on the bracket but it is very "brassy" and needed toning down too with some Walnut Stain Distress Ink.   Then it really was a massive hunt through my supplies to find black and orangey papers and embellishments.  I also added more of my own flowers.


I am pleased with the end result and glad I branched out a bit and did something different.  It really is worth hopping over to Swirlydoos and having a look at the fantastic layouts made by the Design Team using these colour hues.  

I hope everyone is having a good weekend - it is terribly cold here still (we've got the heating on!) but at least it is dry.



Comments

Debbie said…
Stunning LO Jennie, how gorgeous. Debbiexx
...this is a super LO Jennie, the colour theme compliments your FIL Sister perfectly, I think woman of this era had a quite sophistication, dress, hair, make-up & assessories would of been immaculate...loVe all your elements, flowers and inkiness...a gorgeous piece of work...Mel :)
I remember using the term 'The Bees Knees' often as a child, I liVed up North then...
Marjie Kemper said…
Stunning layout, Jennie... so many beautiful embellishments yet you keep the eye on the photo first. I love it.
Hettie said…
This layout is gorgeous Jennie - or should I say the Bees Knees! The colours are stunning and the whole layout is just fabulous.
I used to hear (and use) that expression alot when I was younger but not so much so now. But my grandfather was from Lambeth so maybe that is why!