Paris Roubaix …..




Hello Everyone! It is my turn for another DT post at Country View Challenges and our theme this month is:


New Beginnings

So here I am with my second newly learnt technique which involves grunging up my Gadget Gears!  My lovely friend Jenny Marples has a wonderful array of tutorials on her blog Pushing the Right Buttons and I was much taken with her makeover for gears cut from grungepaper.  Here is the link to Jenny's tutorial:  Grunge Paper Gears

As usual I didn't quite have the right products, so here is my take!



The gears on the left were coloured with Ginger Alcohol Inks and the ones on the right with Black Distress Paint.



They all got a spritz with Heirloom Gold Perfect Pearls.



And finally I added (here and there) Antiqued Bronze Distress Paint which I watered down a bit. They actually look better in real life!



For my card base I blended Salty Ocean and Vintage Photo Distress Inks and when dry I overstamped with Picket Fence Distress Stains (I just love this effect!) I then stamped a few of the gears from the Time Travel set with Vintage Photo (although I did stamp off first, so this is a second generation stamping).



We are not short of cycling enthusiasts in our family and as soon as I saw this in the French Industrial Paper Stack I just had to use it! My son has, as did my husband when younger, a dream of taking part in the Paris Roubaix cycle race - a gruelling race over cobble stones much of the way.  The picture got a bit of ageing with the same Distress Inks as the background.


My gears look quite different to Jenny's as I did use different products, but I quite like the overall look.


As ever, thank you for joining me today!

Jennie x



A Cycling Aside! It is the 25th anniversary of the Shetland Wheelers Cycle Club this June (founded by my husband Terry). This was our inaugural ride:





I am in the pink and grey on the left and the little lad in the front is our son Robin who is now a successful Scottish cyclist (he was on the back of the tandem for this first ride).


And the first time trial in 1990 - I was the only female rider for years!  Again the two little lads in the front are our sons, Adrian and Robin. There was very little in the way of cycle gear in those days!

Happy days!




Comments

Brenda Brown said…
I love this card Jennie, the way you have added distressed layers to give it that worn and aged look and the cog technique has worked perfectly. How lovely to see your photos, obviously they bring back great memories xx
rachel said…
a wonderful piece Jennie - wonderful tutorial too and the photographs are amazing. Such a personal piece for you - brilliant xx
Redanne said…
Jennie, your card is fabulous! I love the aged look you have given the cogs and that background is superb, love the picket fence stamping.

Snap, I used the same image on my Son's birthday card, he is a very keen cyclist too both in the UK and France. We are all patiently waiting to see the Tour de France here in the UK again this year!
Love your wonderful photos. Anne xx
Anneke said…
Wonderful male card. Thanks for your explanation Anneke.
www.annekescardart.blogspot.com
Astrid Maclean said…
Wonderful card Jennie, great background and the gears look fabulous! Love the cyclist too of course and your photos are just wonderful!! How things change in just about 20 years or so!
Unknown said…
This is fab Jennie, great techniques and such a great take on the theme of the month! Lovely to see your photo's too, what a lovely life up there in the Isles! >;o) Chris xxx
Terry said…
Gorgeous card, Jennie! Love the background and those rusty gears. Great collections of photos, how fun.
Unknown said…
So glad I found this blog :) I am an avid crafter and my partner, Kevin, is as I type, just getting ready to do a weekly time trial in Yorkshire, Skipton. As you can imagine we are getting so excited about the Grand Depart of the Tour de France and hoping to be among the spectators on both days they are in Yorkshire. Love the image on the card!
Hugs
Dawn x
Yes, yes, yes - absolutely in love with this card, Jennie. Colours, composition, cogs and gears - all absolutely perfect - a new top ten entry for me for sure!
Alison xx
Jenny Marples said…
I adore the cogs, background and whole composition on this Jennie. Wonderful. Jenny x