Black Gesso



Hello Everyone !

Today I am sharing some experimentation with Black Gesso. A brand new pot has been sitting on my desk for over six months and for some reason wasn't calling me. Then when I was cleaning up the other day I found an old paintbrush which had been stained black and so decided to cover a tag with the black gesso and …… I was off!

There are no step by step photographs as I had no idea where this was going. But this is how my base tag ended up.


Once the gesso was dry I added some text through a stencil with Tim Holtz Texture Paste and once this had dried tried painting it directly with Luminarte Silks. They didn't want to stick to the gesso, so I covered the tag with Paper Artsy Fresco Finish Paint - just a light covering. At this point it nearly went into the bin! but I decided to spray it with sprays made from Luminarte Primary Elements: I used Rose Gold, Teal Zircon and Autumn Skies. I am so glad I didn't put it in the bin!


Finally I added some white embossing in the spaces.


Then I started looking for other substrates to try the black gesso on! This layered dragonfly had been cut in white cardstock. After a coat of gesso I applied the Primary Elements powders directly from the pot.


The same too for this die cut frame. The letter D is an old metal one which got gessoed, sprayed with the Autumn Skies and then daubed with white paint as it was a little bright. The flower was sprayed with the Rose Gold and the ribbon dyed with a combination of Autumn Skies, Teal Zircon and Go Navy Sprays.


I wish you could see how beautifully the colours shimmer and I am very pleased at how the different surfaces took the gesso and sprays quite differently. I shall definitely be using the Black Gesso again!

As I have used a number of random letters I thought my tag might qualify for the current challenge at the Artist Trading Post Exchange which is "Alphabet Soup". Such a great idea for a challenge to use up random letters left in our stash!

Comments

Rita said…
Hi Jennie, I too have unused black gesso in my paint box. Your tag looks so beautiful, very artistically done too. Can just imagine the beautiful shimmer of the teal and black. Hope you are both staying safe and warm. Hugs Rita xxx
Pamellia said…
Gorgeous Jennie! I really love the look of the black gesso, another addition to my wish list, yipes! Beautiful background, the script stencil look amazing! Stunning tag! hugs :)
This is so pretty . I have a jar of black gesso in my stash and never knew what to use it for you have given me inspiration to pull it out and use it . Tks. for sharing
Unknown said…
This looks lovely Jennie, the colours are beautiful xx
Annie said…
So glad you did not dispose of your tag Jennie 😀 love the textured background and stunning colors. The dragonfly looks wonderful too and your frame and letter look great too

TFS and hugs
Annie x
Anonymous said…
Beautiful tag Jennie ! Love the colours and the script is fabulous ! Sue C x
Hi Jennie, I am so glad this didn't end up in the bin, it's gorgeous. I think I may have an unloved black gesso lying in my craft room too.....
Julie xx
This is literally trash to treasure, Jennie. Looks beautiful...glad you ended up having it! The black gesso is so tempting! Hugs.
Jenny Marples said…
I am TOTALLY in love with this one Jennie! Please keep that black gesso close to hand as the results are stunning. The dragonfly is the perfect addition to the textured script background. Love it! Jenny x
Astrid Maclean said…
Amazing effects Jennie, it looks fantastic and so glad it didn't land in the bin!!

Hmm, I have a pretty much full pot of black gesso, I think you have just inspired me to see whether I can still get it open....
I love gesso, both black and white and I'm so glad that you've used the black to produce a gorgeous tag.It looks fabulous with the touch of shimmer from the Primary Elements. Love your background and the dragonfly which really does enhance everything. Have a fabulous sojourn to Ireland. Cheers, Di. xx
massofhair said…
Got a pot of Black Gesso but not used it yet, you have definitely inspired me to have a play very soon.

Stunning Tag, love the script background and the simplicity of the white and black script next to each other. STUNNING :-) x
toni said…
Beautiful tag Jennie! So glad it didn't end up in the bin!. The textures and deep colours are gorgeous! Thank you for joining our Alphabet Soup challenge at the ATPExchange . Toni xx
Julia S-W said…
Jennie, I LOVE, LOVE this so much!! The black gesso looks stunning with all those colours on the top and it's all so subtle - just perfect. Like you, I have been staring at some black gesso and not really knowing what to do with it but I do now and I need to have a play, so thank you for the wonderful inspiration. Sorry I don't get round too often but you know I'm seeing what you do on FB etc. Take care, Juliaxx
PS Thanks for joining us at ATP Exchange too!
Unknown said…
I followed the link to your blog from the Artists Trading Post challenge. I realized that I have seen a few of your beautiful creations as I surf the blogosphere. Guess it' slime to subscribe!