Bring on the Bling!

I am absolutely thrilled to be back Guest Designing with Frilly and Funkie today after winning the Winter Blooms Challenge last month. The current challenge is "Bring on the Bling" and so I decided to alter a bottle and to use a large gem decoration which I have had for ages but which I thought needed "altering" as well!



I have been very taken recently with the work of Elena Morgun and  this wonderful video tutorial (HERE) inspired me to try altering a bottle using similar products.


 I started with a fairly basic bottle which I coated first with black gesso and then white gesso, allowing some of the black to show through. Then the whole bottle got covered here and there, quite thickly with Wendy Vecci Crackle Paste. It took ages to dry!


Then the gem cluster got added. I am sure we all have loads of these (well I do!) and at this stage I really wasn't sure whether it would take gesso and paints or even stick to the crackle.






I then started adding colours to the bottle using Luminarte Primary Elements Powders - Rose Gold and Teal Zircon. I just dabbed my paintbrush into some water and picked up the powders and gently added it over the crackle. In some places I felt the colour was too strong so I added some white gesso back in.




The gems didn't take the Primary Elements very well so I gave them a light coating of gesso and then daubed some Honey Amber Silks over the top.


 Whilst I was waiting for everything to dry I made some Shabby Roses using the Tim Holtz Tattered Florals die and spritzing my paper with a spray using the Rose Gold Primary Elements powders.




I arranged a cluster of flowers, muslin and these lovely metal leaves on the bottle. I had to use Liquitex Super Heavy Gel to get everything to stick down.



The metal butterfly took the gesso and Primary Elements beautifully.



This was great fun and I am so pleased to discover that the gem cluster can be altered so easily. My huge thanks to the Design Team at Frilly and Funkie for inviting me today and I do hope you will pop over to the blog and see some of the wonderful projects created by the Design Team.


Thank you for joining me today!

Jennie x





Comments

toni said…
What a fabulous transformation! Love all the many ways You have altered this bottle Jennie x
Pamellia said…
Corona never looked so yummy! Wow, this is just gorgeous Jennie! Love the soft shabby colours and your treatment of that gem flourish is stunning! Amazing texture and your flowers are breathtaking! Thanks so much for joining us as a guest designer at Frilly and Funkie! hugs :)
Rita said…
Wow. What a stunning bottle Jennie. The colour combinations look amazing and the flowers and butterfly just changes it again. Beautiful project. Hugs Rita xxx
Inkypinkycraft said…
great textures and gorgeous colours , a beautiful piece x
Astrid Maclean said…
Beautiful! I just love what you did here, it looks gorgeous! Fantastic textures and stunning colours too!
Kathy Bradley said…
I was on Funkie and Frilly and saw your most gorgeous bottle. I have been wanting to try this and now may give it a go. Your blog is wonderful, as are your different pieces of art - browsed through your blog to see a few. Thanks for sharing!
Terri Orr said…
wowzer! What an amazing job you did with this! I love the pieces you incorporated and the utter transformation of all--just lovely!
Diane said…
Absolutely fabulous altered bottle Jennie.

Hugs Diane
Redanne said…
I think I am speechless.... you have transformed that bottle into a piece of beautiful art Jennie, I love the soft colours, your gorgeous flowers - and even the blingy bits! Beautiful... Anne xx
Unknown said…
This is beautiful, I love altered bottles! xx
Unknown said…
Gorgeous, Jennie! XOXO-Shari
Heather Jacob said…
soooooooooooooooo beautiful x
Julia Aston said…
Love the thick crackle on this and the wonderful colors you used!
Caught sight of this over at F&F and meant to come running straight over... evidently I got distracted! Utterly fabulous altered bottle - I love the pastel tropical colours over the crackle. Looks like something that would wash up on a beautiful desert island.
Alison xx
Gaby said…
Me gustaria ver un tutorial en video, esta hermoso tu trabajo!