Brooklyn Adventures

After a fabulous, but whirlwind week in New York I felt I needed a bit of play time to get back into the swing of things. What better than to just put a few stencils and inks on the desk, including some of my New York buys and this lovely photograph of Bev and Cath and just see what happened.


We spent our last full day having a look at Brooklyn where we had been staying and took a bus ride out to the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens. We were probably a couple of weeks too early as the only things in bloom were the Magnolias, but what beauties they were.  I took a black and white photograph in order to capture their beauty without the colours of clothes getting in the way. 


I used a couple of Tim Holtz stencils to layer some texture paste onto white linen cardstock and when it was dry covered everything with a layer of gesso and then sponged on some Peeled Paint Distress Ink, spritzing it a bit here and there to keep it light.  A bit of Vintage Photo always get in somewhere! I had to use the sewing machine to get the cardstock flat onto a backing sheet!


I used the Traveller stencil again with Peeled Paint Distress Ink isolating the words I wanted and then stamped various elements in black Arcival as a bit of contrast. I also tore some strips of tissue tape and put these around the edges of the cardstock.


By this time I was really in a black and white mode, so used various embellishments to bring it all together. 


I am fairly pleased how these colours all worked together - not my usual but lots of fun and I now feel ready to get on with things as usual!


I would like to enter this layout into the current challenge at Frilly and Funkie which is Stencil Mania. I think I might just about qualify for this!

Thank you for joining me today!

Jennie x




Comments

Welcome back! What a gorgeous monochromatic layout to celebrate your visit to the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens (I was there at the opposite end of the summer - no magnolias for me!). The photo is lovely to start with, and I love the subtle stencilling and embellishing drawing the eye towards it. Beautiful work!
Alison xx
Jenny - this is absolutely stunning!! I love how you've kept a neutral pallet with just the softest green, appropriate for spring.....and how clever to keep the photo black and white to keep the eye on the image detail! Fabulous xx Lynn
Redanne said…
Your scrapbook pages are always so impressive and this one is no exception. The lovely photo takes centre stage, just as it should, and your embellishments are subtle and beautiful and draw the eye back to the photo. This is such a wonderful page and what fantastic memories it will bring back each time you look at it! Hugs, Anne xx
Marci said…
A beautiful page! Not too busy, and the photo is definitely the focal point. The green is so appropriate for the photo in the garden. Serene and subtle. I love it.
Astrid Maclean said…
Great to have you back Jenny, absolutely love this LO, the subtlety of stencilling with paste and ink, the embellies and of course that stunning black and white photo, all work together to perfection!! This is scrapbooking the way I love it, it looks fantastic!!
Unknown said…
Wow Jennie, you know I'm a huge fan of scrap layouts and I love this! This is beautiful, the layout is so spot on and the colours are soft and muted and go perfectly with the photo. I love writing going down sideways under the photo - so clever! hugs, Georgie xx
Nikki Acton said…
Beautiful monochromatic page Jennie. Nx
Lys said…
What a wonderful layout! Every thing is on its best place and it's a so natural feel ... I love it!
Julia Aston said…
What a lovely page Jennie! wonderful soft texture and stencilings to highlight that great black and white photo - all our gardens are weeks behind here on the East Coast of the USA having suffered such a terribly snowy winter!
Ruth said…
Fabulous scrapbook layout, love the colours, they really do work beautifully! Ruth x
Jenny Marples said…
Totally and utterly gorgeous Jennie! I love that the stencilling adds detail without taking away from the beautiful photo and the little blossoms echo those in that photo. Thank you for joining us at Frilly and Funkie. Jenny x