Back to School Mini Album

Welcome to my second post of today (it being the first of the month!). It is time for a new challenge at  Mini Album Makers and our sponsor this month is Graphic 45. I just LoVE G45 papers and so decided to share this album I made with the glorious Schooldays papers.


As usual this is a photo heavy post and once I have shown you the album I'll take you through the steps of how I created the signatures. I have taught this mini album over a number of years here in Shetland and it is very popular. It is based on much I have learnt from Anna of annes papercreations. If you click the link you will be taken to her blog and a scroll down the right hand side will give you links to many of her tutorials. 


I have used the papers to create a book with two signatures and an envelope to record my own and my husband's school reports and early photographs. This is the front of the first signature.


Lots of lovely flaps and envelopes.


On the right hand side is the envelope, easily made by folding over a long sheet of cardstock.


The back of the envelope on the left and the start of Terry's signature on the right.



I just love how G45 papers can be collaged to make beautiful scenes - these two are tucked inside a flap.




The two signatures and envelope have been enclosed in a simple greyboard book using tips and techniques from Anne's tutorials.

I really love this book and must get around to filling it with all our school days memorabilia.


I hope you will be able to join us in our challenge this month. Graphic 45 are offering a $50 prize for one lucky entrant. And if you need inspiration then hop on over to our challenge post HERE to see some amazing mini albums created by the rest of the team.

As always thank you for joining me and happy crafting!

Jennie x



TUTORIAL

And this is how I have made the signature with all the flaps and pockets, again based on Anne's ideas.


Take a 12 x 12 piece of cardstock and score at 1/2", 5 1/2" and 10 1/2", then turn the cardstock once and then score at 2 1/2", 9" and 10 1/2". Then cut out the pieces marked with an X as shown above.


Cut a flap from matching cardstock measuring 5" x 9 1/2" and score at 1 1/2" (NOT the 1/2" I have scored here!)

I will now show you the pieces I use in my workshops to explain the process.


There is a flap at the right hand side which you can fold over for later.


And then fold the larger flap down.


Use either cord or as I have done here Strong and Stretchy acrylic cord as recommended by Anne under the spine on the left hand side. Cut enough that you can knot it lightly and then you can undo it to go inside the book spine when all the pages have been decorated.



Fold up and glue down the bottom pocket.



Turn the piece of cardstock over and you will find the flap you folded over at the beginning. This can be glued down to create another pocket.


Finally fold up and glue the pocket on the flap.



And then glue this flap onto the main signature.


Then have fun decorating!


Comments

Brenda Brown said…
What a great and helpful post Jennie and I adore your back to school album it’s delightful, those papers bring it to life. Thanks for sharing and have a wonderful weekend xxx
What a cleverly constructed album Jennie and its just waiting for those school day memories to be added to it all. Pocket making always fascinates me how a simple piece of paper can create such a handy pouch to hold our treasures within. Your school days album and choice of papers is magnificent.
Thank you for sharing, I LOVE photo heavy posts.
Creative wishes Tracey xx
P.S I'll be round to check out your earlier post later today x
SewPaperPaint said…
Oh dear heavens! One day I hope to come to Shetland and take this class of yours my darling! How fun would that be! I can see why it is a favorite as it is brilliant. The additional page designs really take it to the next level. Wonderful ideas, thank you for sharing. Big hugs, Autumn
Caty said…
What a so so gorgeous mini album Jennie !! Absolutely fantastique ! I love the so beautiful papers you have used, lovely details !
Thanks so much for your step by step, very appreciated.
I wish you a very happy weekend
Big hugs, Caty
Redanne said…
I could spend hours watching Anne create her albums, this one is superb Jennie and the papers are just perfect for your intended usage of the album. I love all the images you have added and the pockets are perfect for hiding all those little bits and pieces. Great tutorial too, I love the tip about the stretchy cord, so clever! Hugs, Anne xx
Astrid Maclean said…
One of my favourite G 45 collections and you have used it just brilliantly here Jennie, so clever and such a great detailed tutorial!! A super album, loved seeing every page!!
Have a good week!
It's an absolutely delightful album, Jennie - with some of my all-time favourite Graphic 45 papers. (I find the colours on some a bit too full on, but this one is the perfect vintage look.) Great construction, with really helpful step out photos, thank you.
Alison x
HMax said…
I just adore everything you make Jennie! I love this little book and the sweet images in it. I really want to hold it in my hand. So well crafted! I think I'll stow away in Autumn's luggage when she heads across the pond for a workshop! :)

~ Heather
Diana Taylor said…
Such a lovely little album - the papers are gorgeous and every page an absolute delight.