Mixed Media Pocket Notebook

At long last I have had a chance to play with some of Eileen Hull's new dies ! It has been a tad hectic since I got back from the wonderful UK PaperTrail workshop in Dumfries with Eileen and the Pocket Notebook die in particular has been sat on my desk all that time just waiting to be used!


I decided to go down the mixed media route for my covers and get out my favourite Distress Ink Sprays - Faded Jeans and Dusty Concord.


I really loved the idea for the closure on this die so gave the piece a covering of the same crackle pastes and sprays.


The book has a matching back with just one small MDF clock but I really love how you can see the colours and textures more on this side.


I decided to insert two signatures but they are quite thick and will I am sure bulk out when used.


I started with a layer of builder's scrim on the covers and I love how the inks settle into the little squares.


I love this steampunk clockface from Calico Craft Parts and wanted to make it a feature of the front cover. As they do each of their parts in various sizes I was able to match it with a smaller one on the back cover.


Some of the pieces have a touch of gold wax just to lift them slightly.

And so here is how it came together (the ink colours show up slightly different on these photographs taken on my phone in the craft room ....)


I gessoed the covers and started with a layer of the builder's scrim (a huge roll from my local construction warehouse was about £5 and has hardly a dent in it after three years). I added some texture paste through some steampunk stencils and added crackle glaze here and there. Next I layered my MDF pieces, mainly under the clockface to give it some support. Everything then got a coat of gesso.


And then the Distress Ink Sprays! You have to be brave at this point and be ready to add loads of water if it is too dark. You will see that later I took some colour from the clockface with a babywipe - so there are always options!


Blending some Vintage Photo Distress Oxides around the edges of the covers helps to give it a little definition.


I was also doing the same on the back cover - it is quite good to do them both at the same time to get some continuity of colour.


Finally I added in some stamping around the edges of the scrim.


I found these small booklets in my local bookshop (Shetland Times)  and they were just the perfect size for sitting inside the elastics. One book gave me two good signatures and at 99p I thought was good value - it is a good quality paper too.


I really love the way this turned out and although a little 3D should be quite sturdy and capable of withstanding being handled.

As always thank you for joining me today and have a great week!

Jennie x

PS Watch this space in the next couple of days as I have also been making "proper" hardback books using Eileen's Notebook Die along with a Treasure Chest to keep them in.

Comments

Thelma said…
Jennie, this is lovely. Such delicate colours and lots of lovely photos so that I can have a good look. Thank you. I, like you haven't played with my die since Eileen's UK Papertrail but bought three notebooks, similar to yours, in Waitrose for a £1 each. Probably could have shopped around for cheaper but that are nice and fat with good quality paer
Mitsyana said…
This is absolutely GORGEOUS!! Love all the textures and subtle colors!! LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!! AMAZING JOB, JENNIE!!
Such a beautiful piece!
Playing catch up Jennie and noticed so many lovely posts in a short space of time, so i'm sat reading with a cuppa and enjoying tremendously.. Those little fit perfect in your gorgeous cover, wonderfully embellished. I'm loving this die at the moment thinking of different ways to use it, even if the time is not readily available at present the idea's are all jotted down. Thank you for sharing. Creative Hugs Tracey xx