A Noble Chap!

Hello and welcome!


As it is the fifth Friday in the month we have our usual Tag Friday over at A Vintage Journey where the Creative Guides have fun and experiment with whatever is on their desk or ideas they have picked up and want to try.


I am the latter this month having tried out a new technique with material and tissue paper for my background.


It is quite difficult to see in the photographs but the tissue paper has taken on the mesh texture of the material, but in addition I was also able to stamp and splatter on it before decorating.


I will take you through the background steps, mainly because I need to remember how I did it!


Underneath that is my tag! I have used fabric pva to attach the background fabric and then little pieces on the top. I then gave the whole lot a coating with Gel Medium .....


..... then before it dried I covered it with tissue paper and gently smoothed it out.


Once it had dried I was able to trim off the edges and overstamp with some small Tim Holtz stamps and using Archival ink.


I machine stitched various elements of the tag and attached the tag to another using a zig zag stitch around the edges.


Finally I added some black paint spatters and blended a little Black Soot Distress Ink on some of the raised edges.


I really like the final effect - although no one would believe that it was material underneath!

I am still experimenting so watch this space! And do hop on over to A Vintage Journey so see the wonderful tag makes of my Creative Sisters on the team. There are always so many individual ideas - you can't help but be inspired!

Thank you for joining me today!

Jennie x

Comments

Annie said…
I love the soft background that your fabric and tissue have created Jennie, followed by the beautiful stitching x Fabulous layers of ephemera and the ink splatters add to the depth.

A stunning tag x

Sending hugs
Annie xx
Such a cool background technique - I love how the tissue paper softens the look of the fabric (like whitewashing), and that you can stamp and spatter to get another layer too. The stitching trim is great, and I love the pink tints you've given to the chap to perk him up - a fabulous Tag Friday tag.
Alison x
Deb said…
Oh my gosh Jennie, what a brilliant background technique! I can't believe that those dark fabric colours became so muted and beautiful with the tissue paper overlay, will definitely be trying out your technique, it is wonderful! Love that Paper Doll of Tim's, I've used him myself and he is indeed a noble chap! Thanks so much for sharing your tag and your technique, Deb xo
Realy interesting technique it creates a mysterious effect. Love your tag. x
Julia Aston said…
What wonderful techniques used on your tag Jennie! Love the look of the fabric behind the tissue - your edge stitching is beautiful - my machine always skips and jumps (it's old - I got is a high school graduation gift!) Great stampings and splatter and well placed ephemera! xx
Astrid Maclean said…
This is super cool Jennie, what a great technique, so subtle and all that stitching looks just brilliant! This is definitely one to remember, love it!!