Inside my Wrapped Junk Journal for Eileen Hull Designs

 Hello and welcome! 


For the month of August the Eileen Hull teams are sharing ideas for the "insides" of junk journals. We sometimes concentrate on the covers and gloss over the insides, so here is a chance for some inspirational ideas from a great team (of which I am very proud to be a member!).

I am sharing with you ideas using vintage scraps to create a signature which will fit Eileen's Wrapped Journal. It is a photo heavy post! I am sharing how I start the process by making a small collection of pieces which I can then add into the signatures when I am ready, rather than making a page at a time.


I am using tea dyed papers - these are quite simple to make using ordinary copy paper. You can check out a tutorial on my blog HERE.


I have used some of the sheets to cut my signatures. Eileen's Passport Die fits perfectly into the Wrapped Journal and using the die means you can cut a few pages at a time.

I have folded a sheet of the dyed paper into four and used die cuts to cut out labels and tags - again a quick way to get your junk journal stash started.


These labels and tags then get stamped with various stamps and sentiments. A little brown ink blended around the edges gives them a lovely vintage feel.


I have used more tea dyed off cuts to stamp some larger stamps to make tickets ......

.... and then gone through my bits and pieces box to find other little bits and pieces of stamped scraps and saved pieces which I can use. You might not use them all, but you have them all to hand.

I have used more of the tea dyed paper to make these little envelopes from a die cut. I have layered bits of old text paper, ribbon, flowers, tickets and buttons over some background stamping.

I store everything in a box so when I am ready to create my signatures I can have a grand decorating session!

I have included three signatures in my junk journal and decorated the front covers of two of them with vintage elements built up around a glassine envelope.


These glassine envelopes are easy to purchase on Amazon or Ebay (they are used by stamp collectors) and make a lovely base for vintage collages. I start by cutting a piece of card to fit into the envelope to give it a bit of support.


A piece of old text paper is the first layer ......


..... then a small doily and some muslin ......


.... add a vintage photograph ........


...... some tea dyed ribbon ......

...... and a small tag and button. 

The whole collaged envelope can then be adhered to the front cover of the signature.

And now to the rest of the pages.


For this page I have layered a torn piece of vellum over a stamped image on text paper. I have used my sewing machine to adhere some lace and other bits from my junk box. The collage was adhered to the page when completed.


I love adding doilies between my pages and you can see that most of the pages have been stamped with some vintage stamps but leaving areas free for more decoration. On the left hand side I have used one of the stamped labels to act as a pocket for stamped tags.


One of the pre-made envelopes with a few tags and labels.


Another collage made up of stamped labels and scraps from the box.


A single stamped tag can act as a "holder" for other tickets and labels.

I made two very similar signatures and the third is slightly smaller and contains more labels and tags.

I do hope that these photos give you some ideas and also the way I work in preparing a box of bits and pieces BEFORE I start my junk journal. I do this also for non-vintage junk journals.

Thank you so much for joining me and remember to check back to Eileen's blog HERE for inspiration for more ideas for junk journal insides!

Jennie x






Comments

WOW - so beautiful! Every little detail is perfect. Love your trick about folding paper when using dies. Never gave that a thought. Thanks for sharing your amazing talent.
Unknown said…
Gorgeous Jennie, I love each and every detail and the vintage stamping. Perfect colour choice. Tea staining is fun and looks so good. Well done!!!!
Lisa Hoel said…
absolutely a treat to examine as always Jennie! I love the vintage look. =)
eileen hull said…
This book is stunning Jennie! I wish I could just sit and watch you create- what a pretty end result. I love the idea of putting the little collages together and keeping them on hand to put in a book. Thanks for all your hard work- so happy you are part of the team <3
Margaret said…
Absolutely beautiful Jennie - thanks for sharing your ideas
Oh my word, just stunning. I would totally buy this. LOVE all the ephemera, the neutrals, everything. YUMMY!
AuntieGT said…
Wow, just Wow, everything about this journal is a treasure..not junk - gorgeous as always x
Redanne said…
Jennie, your junk journal is gorgeous, full of wonderful details and so beautifully vintage looking! xxx
Susan Mac Donald said…
this is stunning, beautiful & oh, so generous of you to share!!
Thank you for another wonderful idea.
LJMILLER said…
I love your work......i am a fanatic of Tim H paper dolls....love love love the tea cup idea.....amazing creative thought!
LJMILLER said…
I love your work......i am a fanatic of Tim H paper dolls....love love love the tea cup idea.....amazing creative thought!