Crackled Ornament Box and Tag Book Tutorial

Hello and welcome to the revisit of my Sizzix Chapter 3 release project for Eileen Hull and how I turned a Christmas Ornament Box into a mixed media vintage art deco style box.


Although Eileen has designed the dies with a Christmas look they are able to be used twelve months of the year. 


They are also designed to be used alongside each other, with the wreath and snowflake fitting the inside of the ornament box.


I also love that the smallest tag from the previous release sits well inside! but is also a cute little junk journal by itself.


So here is how the box came together:


I cut a small slice from the bottom of the circle so the box would stand - I already felt it had an art deco feel.


I made up the inner part of the box in a rather tighter style by cutting off a little piece of the sides so that they would glue together in a tighter way. Everything then got painted with PaperArtsy Fresco Paint (Verdigris)


To cover the gap at the side I again cut a small piece from the middle part of the Ornament die .......



..... and this covered the gap perfectly.


I added crackle paint to the front and back of the box so some of the Verdigris paint shows through. I then made it look a little rusty with some rust effect paste and metallique wax. 


I was a little less heavy handed with this one! But that is the nature of the crackle you never really know how well or how little it will crack until it has dried.


I had some gelli plate papers made using the same Verdigris paint, so stuck a small piece onto some very light card and cut my sentiment. I knew it would hang over the edge so I needed a little more support than just the paper. It does need to be run through the Big Shot a few times but it does cut clean in the end.


I only needed to cut a very small piece from the wreath to fit the box and decorated it with some flowers and muslin.


On the back of the box I used the ornament outside half moon piece over the top of the box and some of the smaller leaves from the Thinlits die.


The little tag junk journal was made using the smallest tag from the Chapter 2 release. The front and back covers were decorated with gelli plate papers on light board.


The inside pages were cut from tea stained paper. I have used some fabulous new PaperArtsy stamps from Scrapcosy (Raquel) and Gwen Lafleur inside. 


A random mix of little pages but great fun to use the stamps!


All held together with a small ring clip with lace ribbons, flowers and some dangling keys.


I hope this provides some inspiration for these dies and how they can be used in so many different ways and not just for Christmas! I am sure I shall be using them over the next few months as well as at Christmas, so keep an eye out for more ideas.

Also visit Eileen Hull Designs for more team inspiration .... there are so many stunning ideas for using this new release. 

As always thank you for visiting me today and happy crafting!

Jennie x

Dies used:

Sizzix ScoreBoards L Die : Ornament Box #665327
Sizzix Thinlits Die Set : Wreath and Snowflake  #665326
Sizzix Thinlits Die Set : Card, Waterfall & Tags #665154




Comments

Lisa Hoel said…
Gorgeous Jennie!! You are the queen of shabby chic! ;-)
craft and color said…
How beautiful you have made it
I started following you.
I had to make a new blog, I couldn't post the old one on fb anymore
Would you like to follow me too?
Corryxxx