Hellebores



Hello everyone from a blustery but sunny Shetland. There are lots of signs of Spring in the garden but a long way to go yet before we see any blooms.  The latest challenge over at Frilly and Funkie is Winter Blooms and I thought it would be fun to make some Hellebores - one of the flowers I really miss not being able to grow this far north and which were always in my parent's garden at this time of the year. 

I found this photograph on Pinterest and tried to emulate the specific details: 

: five petals,
: deep colour radiating from the centre and 
: that gorgeous cluster and stamens in the centre.








I used Crushed Olive, Victorian Velvet and Seedless Preserves Distress Inks for the colouring, scrunching everything up in my usual way and adding a little more colour before shaping the petals.



I punched five petals from a small petal punch for the inner bud, held them together with a brad, spritzed with water and scrunched them up around each other. The stamen was cut in cream cardstock from a die recently purchased from Heartfelt Creations. 



I really enjoyed making this little vase of winter blooms. The vase was turned by my husband from a small piece of exotic wood and is only a few inches tall, so a perfect size for these blooms.

Thank you Frilly and Funkie for a great challenge. Do hop on over to take a look at the Design Team projects - they are all fabulous and all so very different.


Enjoy the rest of the day!

Jennie x


Comments

Maryanne said…
I love your Hellebores, Jennie! I have several in my garden here in the Mid-Atlantic area of the US. I love them, because they bloom in the winter and the blooms last several months. Your paper ones could be mistaken for the real ones. They are just beautiful!
Another stunning flower Jennie. Very inspiring. .Thanks for sharing. Hugs.
Samra said…
WOW!!! Your flowers look so real!!! Absolutely amazing!
Lisa Minckler said…
Absolutely STUNNING!!!!! So incredibly beautiful :)
Pamellia said…
Holy cow Jennie, these are just spectacular!! Wowsers!! For a second there, I thought they were real! Absolutely amazing, the colours, the shapes...just nailed it with this one!! WOW!!

Can't tell you how thrilled I am that you joined us at Frilly and Funkie for our 'Winter Blooms' challenge! Hugs, Pamellia DT :)
Jenny Marples said…
These are my all time favourite flower Jennie, and I am lucky enough to have them in the front and back garden. You've captured them perfectly in paper form and this is another of your remarkable flower tutorials I'll be revisiting a million and one times in the future. The PERFECT entry for the Winter Blooms challenge - thank you so much for joining us at Frilly and Funkie. Jenny xxx
Inkypinkycraft said…
These are gorgeous flowers xx love them x
Margaret said…
Gorgeous flowers, Jennie! They are so realistic.
Brenda Brown said…
Well having picked my jaw up from the floor Jannie I have to say these look so real. What a magnificent job you have done to recreate the Hellebores so perfectly - love them xxx
Oh Jennie, words fail me......they are so so pretty. Hope you win.
Julie x
Margaret said…
Oh my goodness, Jennie! Your flower making skills are outstanding!! These are so pretty!
Redanne said…
We have lots of these in our garden at the moment as hubby loves them and you have captured them fantastically well, they are stunning - you really are the queen of flowers, no doubt whatsoever! Hugs, Anne xx
Unknown said…
Jennie, these are beautiful!! I love how you capture such beauty of flowers in paper, as I said... beautiful!! x
As others have said, Jennie - WOW! So glad some people have these going already in their gardens. This year here in the Northeast US, my garden is still under several feet of snow with a cap of ice - hope my little Hellebores get a chance to bloom this year! The inner bud with the stamen are perfect on your flowers, as is your coloring! Magnificent!! And cheers to your husband for a beautiful little vase! xx Lynn
Marci said…
Beautiful flowers, beautiful vase. You are both very talented. Anemones next? Ranunculas? Sweet little violets? :-))
sarascloset said…
You have captured the true beauty in paper form of these lovely flowers, right down to the buds and stamens! Always a pleasure to see your flowers, no matter the shape or form! Your hubbie is one talented man, too, with his wooden vase!
These are amazing, Jennie - such beautiful, detailed work - how lovely to at least be able to have some handmade hellebores!
Alison xx
Anonymous said…
Wow Jennie, your Hellebores are stunning ! They certainly look like the real thing ! Thanks for joining us at Frilly and Funkie. Sue C x
Simply stunning hellebores Jennie!!
Would happily keep these in a prominent position!
XxxxxxRuth
NO WAY... You bought these fresh flowers!!!! WOW, these are so cool! I thought they were real. I love the things we can accomplish with some ink and paper. What a treat these are to see. I am far from spring in Canada and we are still covered in snow. Although the Grizzly Bears are waking up from a resent warm spell! Anyway, thank you for sharing with us at Frilly an Funkie.