My Special Number


Hello Everyone and welcome. 

We seem to be romping through February and it is time for another challenge at A Vintage Journey, the last before our first anniversary celebrations in March and some changes - more of that later! Firstly our new challenge and we are looking for your


Special Numbers


So many of Tim Holtz products have numbers - papers, stamps, rub ons, stencils and ideology to name a few. We are looking for your projects which incorporate your significant numbers, which could be birthdays, age, an anniversary or the Lucky Ones. 

Use them on any project you wish and if possible explain the importance, but particularly details of the Tim techniques and products which have inspired your piece.

I have chosen the number 5 as my special number: I am very lucky to have four very special friends from my school days and over the last ten years we have met regularly for a holiday. We have the most amazing fun (and adventures!) and when together tend to refer to ourselves as the Famous Five - although Enid Blyton would not recognise our adventures I am sure! So my tag is dedicated to the five of us with photographs taken during a very cold holiday here in Shetland and inspired by Tim's wonderful products (and I just had to use the new Cracked Pistachio Distress Ink!)



I just love the Cracked Pistachio DI and it goes beautifully (in my mind) with Worn Lipstick and Walnut Stain. I blended the colours here and there and then used the Walnut Stain through some Layering Stencils, added a little embossing in the top right hand corner from the Bingo Embossing Folder and then added all those wonderful number rub ons. To fill in the gaps I blended more Cracked Pistachio and Worn Lipstick through the dots layering stencil.



Then time to add the embellishments: I used the mini photo frame which was the perfect size for these mini photographs which I cut from a larger one. With so much colour on the tag I used Black Soot Distress Paint straight out of the bottle to colour it.



I used the smallest tag die for my labels and created a flower embellishment from a metal jewellery piece which has a cog underneath stained with the Cracked Pistachio. I finished off with a wooden five here and a metal five on the top. I love the way the Cracked Pistachio works with the Worn Lipstick but also with the hessian ribbon. I think it will become a favourite!




I hope you will find time to join us at A Vintage Journey and also to pop over and see the wonderful pieces created by the rest of the team - some lovely and lucky numbers - but most of all some great inspirational techniques. Whilst we are a Tim Holtz inspired blog, you do not have to use Tim Holtz or Ranger products. Just let us know how you were influenced by Tim's style. The challenge is open until 5th March.



Now the news at A Vintage Journey! March 6th will be our first anniversary and we will have a special challenge and some great prizes. We are also changing things around a little and the most significant change will be a move to a monthly challenge theme with a gift voucher of £20 for the winner from Country View Crafts. The winner will now be chosen by Random Org but we will continue with our Top 3 Pinworthies and our Pinterest boards. 

So the structure for the month will change and Fridays will very much be about projects and guests and Mondays will be a completely new format of Destination Inspiration, linked to a monthly menu of product, colour, technique and substrate. So do join us on 6 March when all this will become clear!


In the meantime have a lovely weekend!


Jennie x

Tim Holtz Products used:
Ranger Manilla Tag
Distress Inks: Cracked Pistachio, Worn Lipstick, Walnut Stain
Layering Stencils: Cargo, Measured and Dot Fade
Bingo Embossing Folder
Mini Ticket/Photo Frame Strip Die
Tags Framelit Die
Gadget Gears Die
Mini Fasteners
Wooden Game Piece
Numbers Remnant Rubs





Comments

S@ndy Diller said…
Great tag, so nice that you enjoy your lovely friends and can show them how much you cherish their friendship.
Samra said…
What a gorgeous tag Jennie :) Love how you used the film strip to add photos of Famous Five! Such a fun and heartwarming way to commemorate the friendship. Till your next amazing creation, hugs :)
Jane said…
A gorgeous tag Jennie of a new famous 5....I love the colour combo, cracked pistachio is now my favourite colour..I recently used it with seedless preserves and pumice stone...another cool combo. I must try the worn lipstick x
Inkypinkycraft said…
A great tag and reasons behind your special numbers x
Astrid Maclean said…
Stunning tag Jennie, - love the background and the photos have come out so well, even on that small scale, looks wonderful and such a lovely tribute to your group of friends!
Nikki Acton said…
What a wonderful tag and such lovely images. I love it all, the background, the layout and the colours... Oh and the embellishments. Nikki xxx
Brenda Brown said…
Such a fabulous make Jennie with a beautiful numbered background. I love the filmstrip photos of you all, the sweet tags attached to it and the wonderful embellishing you have done. xxx
I love your celebration of the "Famous Five" friends, Jennie - such a great tag with a wealth of lovely details. I love the two tiny tags, and the fab use of rub-ons, and the film strip photos are wonderful.
Alison xx
Pamellia said…
Fabulous tag Jennie, I just love how you used the film strip! hugs :)
Julia Aston said…
What a fun tag commemorating the Famous Five Jennie! How nice to have long time friends that you still share your life with - I bet those gatherings are the best! Love all the numbers you incorporated here - the light coloring and the fab photo strip!
Unknown said…
This is amazing Jennie, and what a wonderful theme to choose, your famous five group!! Loads of sentiment tied up in this piece!!! xx
This is such an eye catching tag Jennie. I love your filmstrip, inspiration behind this and all the embellishments.
Julie x
Redanne said…
What a beautiful tag Jennie and how wonderful to dedicate your gorgeous make to a group of your friends - such a lovely thought. Hugs, Anne xx
Rita said…
Wow Jenny, what a wonderful tag. A lovely reminder of times shared as well. Love it. Hugs Rita xxx
Annie said…
A famous five indeed jennie. You all loo so very happy and your tag is gorgeous. Great textures and stencilled areas.
Very mixed weather here today, sunshine, cloud and snow !! Never mind....March is almost here....Yay !!

Have a lovely weekend
Annie x
Wow I love your tag, the filmstrip looks perfect for your friends pictures. The new colour is great blended in. I enjoyed reading your creative process. Jan x
Terry said…
What a great tribute to long lasting friendship, Jennie! I love the background and putting the "Famous Five" in the filmstrip is so clever! Gorgeous tag! Happy Weekend!
Jenny Marples said…
This is brilliant Jennie. I can just imagine you as part of the Famous Five and this is such a great way to commemorate your special friendship with these lovely ladies. You're right about the colour choices with the Cracked Pistachio too. Jenny x
Maggie said…
Your story made me smile Jennie loved the Famous Five books and I'me sure you all have as much fun. Gorgeous tag which really shows the friendship you all share.
MaggieH
And a fabulous Five you all look - brilliant tag
sarascloset said…
Oh, I can just hear the laughter coming from this group! Terrific color combo and loads of great numbers! The black is a perfect counterpoint to those soft background colors!
Deb said…
Wonderful Jennie, what a great remembrance of your special vacation with your friends! Love your colour palette, the cracked pistachio works so well with the other colours you have chosen and great use of the film strip die!