Believe in Your Dreams



Time for my second project this month for Country View Challenges. I don't often scrap a scenic photograph but our current challenge theme, Simply Scenic, provided a great opportunity for doing something a little different.



I took this photograph a few years ago while we were tied up in the Caledonian Canal waiting to go through to Fort William the following morning. It was one of those lovely evenings in the Scottish Highlands where everything falls calm and quiet.



I decided a mixed media background would work well with the photograph as I didn't want to overpower it too much. I used a good stiff piece of cardstock and layered Texture Paste over some strips of cardstock. 



The whole lot got a coat of gesso and then spritzed with Weathered Wood (made from the re-inker) and then some overstamping again with Weathered Wood Distress Ink and a few splatters of Vintage Photo Distress Ink. I love the subtle blue tones of Weathered Wood.



Then it was down to layering embellishments under and over the photograph. I kept them fairly basic and light and inked up some cardstock with Weathered Wood and Vintage Photo for the Chevrons so everything matched. 



I love using Picket Fence Distress Paint on chippies! It doesn't quite cover the natural colour but results in a lovely textured finish. 

There is quite a bit of machine stitching on the page, but it merges into the background.



Finally a sentiment - we always consider ourselves very privileged to have these wonderful moments on the boat.




The Simply Scenic challenge at Country View Challenges will be running for the rest of the month, so you have plenty of time to join in! 

Thank you for joining me today!

Jennie x


Comments

Astrid Maclean said…
Fabulous Jennie, such a gorgeous gorgeous background!! An amazing photo too, altogether a fantastic LO!!!
Pamellia said…
Gorgeous Jennie!! I just love how you pulled the smokey blue from the photo as your accent colour, it's such a beautiful choice! Love the splashes of texture, a dreamy layout!! hugs :)
S@ndy Diller said…
It is fun to do something different once in awhile and you have done it so beautifully. It all looks so calming and peaceful.
Artyjen said…
Really shows off the beautiful scene.
xoxo Sioux
Redanne said…
The Weathered Wood was such a perfect colour choice to use Jennie, it matches that gorgeous scene in the photo so well and I love the wonderful texture in the background. A really beautiful layout! Hugs, Anne xx
Wonderful all round - your textures and colors, and the design itself all work together beautifully....very serene and I can imagine myself in that quiet early evening.... xxx Lynn
Marci said…
Beautiful page!
Jac said…
stunning, love the colour it has just turned out fab x
Unknown said…
Another beautiful layout Jennie, I love the neutral tones that you use, and it's composition and colour is just perfectly sympathetic to the beautiful photo.
Hugs
Georgie xx
A beautiful, tranquil scene and a really lovely backdrop of muted colours and texture, love it!
XxxRuth
Deb said…
Jennie, that is so beautiful, a perfect layout to compliment that gorgeous photograph. The muted colour palette and lovely textures really showcase your picture. What an idyllic looking spot, I definitely must get to Scotland and explore my Scots roots and your beautiful countryside.
Inkypinkycraft said…
gorgeous layers in your wonderful background x
What a stunning layout. The mixed media textures in the background are the perfect foil for that amazing photograph. I'd be envious, except I'm imagining there are many many midges...!
Alison xx
Unknown said…
Oh WOW, Jennie!! I can't believe I've missed these beautiful Simply Scenic pages you've made for CVC!! Your Eiffel Tower page is tres magnifique and this gorgeous page commemorating your trip through the Caledonian Canal--soooo beautiful! You've brought your memories to life! XOXO-Shari