Shabby Chic Make-over!



When I visited our wonderful Chris last October, (amongst other things!) she gave me a mirror for altering and I have been itching to do it for ages. So here it is for my second make for Country View Challenges this month. Our theme is Shabby Chic, so I've gone a bit overboard really!!




There are no how-to's unfortunately (no idea why I forgot to take photos!). I started by giving the mirror a coat of gesso and then adding some texture paste with the lovely Gothic Layering Stencil. I then started layering lots of wonderful bits and pieces - lace buttons, bits of metal and some die cuts. 



Everything got another coating of gesso and then I sprayed with Victorian Velvet and Vintage Photo Distress Spray Stains. A little Honey Amber Silks was rubbed in here and there (I always think it transforms buttons!).



Once everything was dry I started adding my top layer of embellishments.




I really like the mixture of elements - those which have been gessoed and sprayed and then the "cleaner" style flowers and metal. 



I have also used muslin and some hat pins and pearls. All the elements which to me make up the shabby chic style.



And so I now have a lovely altered mirror to hang in the guest room. A huge thank you to Chris for the lovely gift which I probably would not have thought of myself as something to alter! 



Thank you for joining me here today!

Jennie x




Comments

This is absolutely gorgeous. I love how you have created such an amazing mirror with your layering of elements in your own inimitable style. Cheers. Di,
Astrid Maclean said…
Stunning make over Jennie, looks totally fabulous! Wow, what a transformation, LOVE it, - right up my street!!
Samra said…
Gorgeous transformation!!! I am a huge fan of your work :)
Pamellia said…
Wow Jennie, this is just gorgeous! I love the soft colouring and I really adore how you mixed so many different types of flowers! Metal, paper and even crocheted! Stunning makeover! hugs :)
Julia Aston said…
This is beautiful Jennie! you make it look so easy! I have yet to attempt something like this! Julia xx
Unknown said…


Superbe bravo
Unknown said…
LOVE THIS!!!! What a gorgeous makeover! Jennie I love how you've taken the Finn theme and applied it to something and made it your own. You completely rock the shabby chic land and the two together are stunning!!
Hugs
Georgie xx
Sue said…
This is so beautiful with lots of lovely detail. I want to try this myself now.
Very beautiful Jennie , must be great to stand back and admire in your guest room!
XxxRuth
Unknown said…
GORGEOUS!! Just WOW, Jennie!! This is a beautifully altered framed mirror and such a wonderful home décor piece! Your guests, who get to look upon this mirror, are going to feel so special seeing their reflections framed in this piece of art!! They're going to want one for their homes!! :) :) XOXO-Shari
Perfect shabby chic style, Jennie - so beautifully done. Anyone would look better to themselves looking in this mirror!
Alison xx