Button Mania!

Hello and welcome to my post today where I am sharing a heap of buttons!


We have a new challenge over at A Vintage Journey and the theme is 

GOING ROUND  IN CIRCLES!

Whether your circles are large or small, 2d or 3d, clock face embellishments, buttons, eyelets or created with paint pot lids, stamped, stencilled, doodled or finger painted, let's see what gets you going round in circles! 



I am a great lover of paper clay and I have rather a lot of moulds, many of which are buttons. So I thought it about time that I used a few in a project.

I started with a 3" x 4.5" piece of greyboard and stuck my buttons down randomly and then gave everything a coat of gesso.



I then sprayed everything very lightly with ColourArte Caribbean pigments and then once dry painted over ColourArte Autumn Leaf pigment. (These are my favourite pots at the moment, so apologies if you are getting a little fed up with them!!!!) I also flicked the Autumn Leaf here and there as well.



The gesso covered paper clay takes the pigment very well and I love the shabby look which has a little sheen to it as well.


I decided to add just a small cluster on top of the buttons so as not to lose the effect.  As I have used paper clay embellishments the whole piece is very light and could even be used on a card blank.



I hope this project might inspire you to get out your paper clay and moulds and give it a go. And of course I really do hope you manage to find time to join our challenge. 

Click the link HERE to see the fabulous inspirational projects from my fellow Creative Guides and of course to get all the details of the challenge. Just make sure that your project fits with our vintage, shabby, mixed media, art journal, industrial or steampunk style.


Thank you for joining me today and have a great weekend!

Jennie x


Comments

Monika Gulyas said…
Wow Jennie, these buttons look amazing on your project! I have never thought that buttons could look as fine as on your board but the gesso obviously helped them a lot :-) xx
Julia Aston said…
I just love those layered buttons - all the gesso and soft coloring Jennie! The roman numeral and soft flower are wonderful adornments! Julia
Brenda Brown said…
Wonderful design and composition and I adore these shabby colours xxx
I love your dimensional button circles, Jennie. Great composition and a brilliant shabby chic colour palette.
Alison x
SewPaperPaint said…
Your idea to use buttons for this challenge was tremendous! I may have to do the same. Thanks for the inspiration. I adore the colors and beautiful buttons on this piece. The numerals are perfect too! Hugs, Autumn
Jenny Marples said…
Genius! Love the clever idea of using the buttons as your circular elements. They look perfect clustered and altered together with the added blooms xx
Marci said…
This is beautiful! I love the arrangement of buttons.
Astrid Maclean said…
What a clever interpretation of the theme, super use of those buttons making fr a stunning design!!
Nikki Acton said…
Beautiful layout Jennie - the buttons have your special elegance about them! xx
sarascloset said…
Jennie, every time I visit your blog, my heart skips a beat!Love, Love, LOVE how you've chosen buttons to represent the circles from the theme-genius! AND made from paper clay, too boot! Lovely coloring and a stunning design all together! Sending hugs!
sarascloset said…
Duh, why have I not hit that follow button? I have been relying on just catching your makes where ever they pop up-usually on Pinterest. But now I won't miss a single opportunity for an arrhythmia--ha! ha!
A Pink said…
Beautiful! Jennie . A wonderful way to interpret the theme and showcase some of your lovely buttons. They make for the perfect base for your elegant cluster.
I do love your work .
hugs x
Redanne said…
Absolutely stunning Jennie, the buttons are beautiful and I love the soft muted colours you used. The flower is a perfect finishing touch! Anne xx
Stunning work throughout the blog!

Apologies for using the comments here however I'm not sure that my emails are getting through.

Are you still interested in helping me sort out an All Counties Craft Challenge Workshop on Shetland at all?

Best wishes,
John Bloodworth
S@ndy Diller said…
Just love every bit of this. The buttons are so fabulous, a wonderful touch. S@ndy x