Heartfelt Journal - My Story I Will Share



Hello and Welcome! 

Although my Eileen Hull Heartfelt Journal has been shared previously on my blog, I had not detailed how I had made the covers. So I have done a small step by step of how the covers were created and a small slideshow of the first signature in the book.  

Unfortunately I decided to do this on a very stormy afternoon here in Shetland and so some of the photographs are a bit of an odd colour!


I used Daler and Rowney mount board for my covers and gave them a good coat of gesso. Then I added some texture paste through two of my favourite stencils by 13 Arts.


I am not too bothered if bits are missing here and there!


My favourite way of getting colour onto the board is by using PaperArtsy Infusions. These little pots are really fabulous but ..... and this is what I love ..... each time you use them you get a slightly different effect depending on how much of the walnut stain comes out of the bottle.



I like to go in with plenty of water and take quite a bit off rather than trying to do it gently.



I love adding the Distress Oxides to the Infusions - the blending seems a little heavy handed but once spritzed with water it does disappear! I blended Vintage Photo first then a little Walnut Stain around the edges.




I love the mottled, worn look (the skies must have been very heavy at this point!)


So now back to the original book and you can see how I layered my Ephemera. I have not used any foam patches, just glued everything down but those nearer the top are not glued right to the edges, so they appear to "float".  








And not forgetting the back of the journal!


This journal is to be a story of me - life, loves and achievements. So far I have only created the first signature for my childhood and teenage years - now to start filling in the details.


I think the video is best viewed on Youtube - I am still learning about resolution!

As always thank you for joining me and happy crafting!

Jennie x




Comments

Deb said…
Jennie, this is so beautiful and what a wonderful idea to record your life in this way. A true treasure to pass down to your family, can't wait to see how it evolves. Deb xo
Astrid Maclean said…
This is just so lovely Jennie, and thanks for a great step out!
Julia Aston said…
What a beautiful cover on this Story journal Jennie - and a lovely place to record your life passages! Julia xx
Jackie PN said…
Jennie, This is pure gorgeousness!! Seriously beautiful!!
Jackie xx
Fantastic to see the covers in more detail, Jennie - all those exquisite details deserve to be seen in close-up. Thanks so much for sharing your process.
Alison x
Pamellia said…
Beautiful Jennie! I love the work you did on the background. The stencil designs and the wonderful techniques you use to add colour! A lovely cover! hugs :)
A Pink said…
Your journal cover is gorgeous , Jennie - always love seeing your 'infusion' work- Love the colours and you collage so effortlessly with just the right selection of ephemera .
A wonderful way to record your life.
hugs x