Birds of a Feather …….

Time for another new challenge at A Vintage Journey (I just can't believe how quickly the weeks go by!) and our fabulous Chris is your host this month and has chosen the theme


Birds of a Feather


Get out your inks, paints, chalks, Gelatos, whatever! 
and grab your bird dies, stencils, masks, stamps, 
whatever Avian stash you have and conjure up something 
that sings of our feathered friends. 

Whatever you create, we want to see Tim's influence 
clearly identified. 
Let's see your magic!



Amazingly I have very little in the way of bird stash and had to opt for using the wonderful birds in Tim's Wallflower Paper Stack. 

However, back in August Aida of Tim's Mixed Media Team had created a wonderful home mixed media decor project with a wonderful background and little bird house and so I used this as my inspiration.



I started with a hessian canvas frame which had a picture on it but I managed to gesso that out with a couple of coats. I then layered some of the Melange Tissue Wrap in various places on the canvas.


I used Tarnished Brass Distress Paint over various parts of the canvas, but decided this was quite bright so gessoed over the top to get something a little more muted. Finally I used Wendy Vecchi Crackle Glaze and the Harlequin Stencil to create more texture. So the same process as Aida but very different colours!



I gathered some bits and pieces from the Wallflower Paper Stash. I fussy cut the feathers (they look so real!) and made this little Bird House using the Artful Dwelllings Die and using the Tarnished Brass Distress Paint on the sloped roof. 



Then it was down to having fun decorating! I found a little piece of fence which got painted with (yes) Picket Fence Distress Paint!



I needed some tiny flowers so cut them from the Tattered Flower Garland and sprayed then with Tarnished Brass Distress Spray. The twigs were cut from the Autumn Gatherings die and coloured with Gathered Twigs Distress Ink (I really felt I was using all the right stuff here !!!).



Here you can see the crackle glaze and I did splatter some Vintage Photo Distess Ink here and there. I had intended to place a quote in the top right hand corner, but it wasn't working so I decided to leave it blank.



There is quite a bit of depth to the canvas with the little bird house and fence.




All in all great fun! 

I hope you will join us at A Vintage Journey for this challenge and look out all your wonderful birdie stash. As you can see from mine you don't need much!

Thank you for joining me today and I hope you all have a lovely weekend!

Jennie x


Comments

Julia Aston said…
Wow Jennie - you're not kidding those feathers look real - I thought they were and had to read your description to see that they weren't! Love the house you created - the pretty fence with all it's decoration - and that background is beautiful! So many lovely techniques on this!
Astrid Maclean said…
Absolutely stunning Jennie, I really love this! Brilliant collage (I like it a lot better than your inspiration piece to be honest), perfect composition and well done without "birdie" stash!!
Brenda Brown said…
This is just delightful Jennie, I love how you have used the wallflower stash and the gorgeous hessian canvas. Your feather cutting is amazing too, everything adds up to a wonderful design.
Have a great weekend.
hugs Brenda xxx
Absolutely delicious - the subtle colour palette is so beautiful, and I love the muted textures in the background, like an old stucco wall. The feathers look amazing, and your little bird house is simply adorable!
Alison xx
Nikki Acton said…
Jennie you are a genius! An amazing creation from the Tim papers - and wow how you cut those feathers! Stunning. Nikki xx
Unknown said…
Lovely soft colours xx
Beautiful Jennie,
Love the birdhouse , amazing feathers , lovely colours!
XxxRuth
Terry said…
Jennie, I so love how you put this burlap panel all together. The birdhouse framed house is so clever. I love that roof! Gorgeous texture and design! Love this!
Jools Robertson said…
So pretty and wonderful colours
Love your bird house and the feathers are amazing so real
All arranged so beautifully

Jools x
S@ndy Diller said…
For someone without a birdie stash, you came through with a truly wonderful theme piece. Love the entire thing.
Rosie said…
A lovely creation
Stunning work of art jennie
Anonymous said…
Wow Jennie this is stunning! The background is wonderful in texture and colour. The fussy cut feather is Gorgeous! I would love to see this feather as a die. Beautifully done! Karen.x
Jenny Marples said…
Love how you've taken Aida's inspirational canvas and interpreted it in a very 'Jennie' way. Soft, gentle colours and a wonderfully balanced design. I love how this has come together. Jenny x