Hitting the Books



... is what we are doing this month at Our Creative Corner. I am hosting my very first challenge at OCC and I have chosen the theme

Hit the Books!

I adore old book paper and old books and I am always glad to be able to breathe new life into a dilapidated book which most people would consider throwing out. So to join us you just need to make sure that you give your book paper or books centre stage!

For my project I have used some papers from an old Penguin Classic Paperback which my friend was taking to the skip as it had missing pages and was looking very sorry for itself! 



I took out about a third of the book using the paper signatures as a guide and folded them in two. The edges of the pages were already beautifully aged so I didn't need to add any ink!



Then I needed a book! As I was working with a paperback I had to make my own book covers.



I used coaster board as the base and covered it with Stampin Up Crumb Cake cardstock - a favourite "go to".



And then time to have some fun decorating! I chose some old Shabby Chic Vintage Pages which I been saving for something special and managed to cut enough for each cover, but had to layer these on top of some more paper from the paperback. A little lace around the edges helped too.


I decided to hold my project together with dyed ribbon and used an eyelet covered hole to ensure the ribbon was secured.



All good so far!



And then even more fun as I layered these gorgeous blooms over the ribbon in order to pull it all together.


I am very pleased with the way this project has turned out. It is something I have wanted to do for a long time but finally got around to it without damaging a hardback book!

I do hope you will find time to join us in our challenge. Search through your stash for old book paper or books and create a project with what you find. You might want to use papers within your project or you might want to breathe new life into an old book by altering it in some way. I do hope I have chosen a challenge theme with huge scope for projects - small or large.


If you are looking for inspiration then DO hop on over HERE to see what the Design Team have created. 

Our sponsor this month is

The winner this month will receive a huge bundle of goodies from our generous sponsor!


Thank you so much for joining me (again!) today - I really appreciate it!


Happy May Day!

Jennie x



Comments

rachel said…
So very pretty ... love it to pieces jennie... great theme@ hugs rachel x
Almo said…
Your altered book is stunningly beautiful Jennie, love it. Mo x
Sunshine said…
Stunning!! Absolutely gorjuss! I love this kind of project and might give it a go!
Thanks for sharing,
Sunshine, New Zealand
www.ihearttostamp.blogspot.com
Brenda Brown said…
This is utterly delightful Jennie and I can imagine looks even better displayed in your house. Gorgeous.
Hugs Brenda xxx
Astrid Maclean said…
Stunning Jennie, a wonderful Springtime make!! I did an Autumn version some time back and remember how much fun they are to do....
Wow Jennie this is beautiful! I was intrigued to find out how you created the book, very clever. Hugs Jan x
Utterly gorgeous, Jennie - what an inspired idea, and beautifully done. So pretty - feminine vintage to perfection! And what a great challenge theme too...
Alison x
Sandy said…
Unbelievably beautiful - so romantic - so gorgeous and so ultra feminine!! Did I tell you beautiful!?!
Sandy xx
Lys said…
A pure delight, Jennie! Pink suits so nicely to old books. I love your composition, thanks for giving us the opportunity to create with these precious papers!
Marci said…
Beautiful, I like how the flowers just flow over the folded pages.
Deb said…
What a gorgeous creation Jennie! The vintage book papers are complimented perfectly by the beautiful paper on your covers and the ribbon and lovely flowers are an exquisite finishing touch. Thanks so much for sharing it, Deb xo
Tincan Crafter said…
So beautiful Jennie. I adored the cascade of gorgeous flowers down the front. What a beautiful creation! Loved your theme this month~!
Candice
sarascloset said…
Oh, my Gosh, Jennie! I have been staring at this shabby chic upcycled paperback for a couple of days, but my computer keeps me from leaving a comment each time, so I'm back to have yet another look and to leave you some sweet words, because this is such a sweet project indeed! Genius use of a near to be discarded book, each page folded so perfectly and then you made the cover yourself! Wow! Love that delicate bow, the touches of lace and those awesome blossoms on top! Oh, how I would love to see this in person!! (although your photography is exquisite!) Hugs!
A Pink said…
Gorgeous! Jennie . A really inspiration project and such a wonderful way to give live to an old book that was to be otherwise discarded. The flowers are divine.
Thanks so much for sharing and inspiring
hugs x
Unknown said…
Oh my gracious Jennie - what an absolutely INCREDIBLE creation. STUNNINGLY BEAUTIFUL. Wow. YOU definitely are the perfect "creator" of this "Hit the Books" challenge. Home Run - over the wall hit - for a MARVELOUS example of designer creativity. GORGEOUS. Xj.
Wowzers! This design and idea is not something I have seen before and is so breathtakingly gorgeous! Awesome sauce upcycle of an old book and so cool that you made your hard cover for it! Beautiful flowers and papers used on the inside covers. The ribbon ties everything together gobsmackingly well! Fantabulous! ~Niki