Be thankful for what you have ...

Hello and welcome to something a little different today! 

An altered wood block!



We have a brand new challenge at A Vintage Journey. I am the host for the challenge this month and I have chosen


WORDS THAT ARE SPECIAL


We often use words for card making, scrapbooking, journaling, layering backgrounds, stamping, collage, in mixed media work, on our tags .... in fact words are often an integral part of our design processes for many of our projects. This month show us words that are important or special to you and how you incorporate them into your vintage; shabby; mixed media; art journaling; industrial or steampunk art.


When I was a child I had these words printed on a small card which sat by my bed. I think it was a present from one of my Nana's. The words have always remained with me and when I saw the stamp a number of years ago I just had to buy it.  The little card is sadly long gone.

When I searched for the origins of the words it now seems that Oprah Winfrey has coined this as one of her "phrases" but to me it has always been an old saying, almost a prayer.


And this is what I started with! My husband is a woodturner and has a bin beside the wood burner in his workshop full of odds and ends. So I saw this rather tatty piece and decided to give it a make over.  (He has said since that if he had known what I was going to make with it he would have cut me something nicer!)


I painted the wood block with Raw Sienna DecoArt Acrylic (two coats) and then applied DecoArt Crackle Paint.

When it was fully dry (I left it overnight to do it's magic) I started layering these lovely shabby roses from a napkin. I used a tiny paintbrush and some water to paint around the edges so that I could tear them easily and used Multi Medium to adhere them.



It was quite easy to layer the different flowers on top of each other and mould them around the wood block.


I stamped my words on Tissue-Tex paper and again used Multi Medium to adhere it.  Finally I blended a little Vintage Photo Distress Ink around the edges and gave the whole block a coat of Multi Medium to "fix" it!


I played around with different embellishments but in the end everything was just too much and so I decided to keep them minimal.


I painted the metal with PaperArtsy Snowflake Fresco Finish paint to create the shabby chic look.


I really love the way the tissue just blends into the crackle and who would think that it started off as a piece of wood destined for the wood burner!

I do hope you will join us in our challenge this month and hop on over to the challenge post HERE to see some amazing projects from my very talented fellow Creative Guides - you can't fail to be inspired!

Thank you for joining me today and have a great weekend!

Jennie x




Comments

vickie said…
this is so beautiful, any tips on where to find beautiful napkins??
I am so in love with this Jennie...The phrase and the work. Such a lovely piece to look upto and remind you you of all the good things around you. I would live to wake up to this every day. I think I will make one for myself with your permission. Hugs.
Astrid Maclean said…
This is shabby chic perfection Jennie, love how you transformed this woodblock destined to be burnt! The roses over the crackle look fantastic, and the minimal embellies are just perfect to finish it off! Such a great quote too (good old Oprah)....
Studio Susanne said…

Good morning, good yawning Jennie,
Thank you for inspiring us by sharing your delightful creation today, it is absolutely gorgeous in every way. You must have treasured the card that you were given when you were young and what a great mantra to see and enjoy using each day.
I would love to have a go at a project like this. I hope that I can get some Decoart Crackle paint here in France.
Warmest best wishes,
Su
-x-x-
Jenny Marples said…
Positively stunning Jennie! A beautiful saying and those tissue roses have worked perfectly with the crackle. Your hubby will have a queue outside the door to his woodworking area I think! xx
Nikki Acton said…
This is beautiful Jennie - great tissue work and wonderful words. x
Redanne said…
So glad that piece of wood did not reach the burner because you have transformed it into a stunning piece of home decor - what a lovely way to display those beautiful words! I love how the crackle still shows through the tissue. It is a technique I still have to try but you have inspired me to do so! Hugs, Anne xx
Brenda Brown said…
Oh so beautiful and wonderfully shabby, I really love this Jennie, and what a fabulous transformation. xxx
Dortesjs said…
a fabulous brick, its a great idea to use wood and the decoupage it.. great work ;O)
Gorgeous chic piece Jennie, I adore the roses and that crackle is gorgeous, I have a soft spot for crackle. Have a lovely weekend. Tracy x
Lys said…
Fabulous! A thoughtful and beautiful piece , I love the crackle background and the shabby roses.
Craftyfield said…
It's such a delightful piece Jenny! Pretty, feminine and delicate with lots of interesting touches like this wonderful crackle, aged metal and decoupaged roses.
A Pink said…
Beautifully stunning ! Jennie in every single way. A gorgeous piece of meaningful home decor to treasure forever .
hugs x
Deb said…
Gorgeous Jennie, love the crackle and the roses are so lovely as is your sentiment, truer words were never spoken! Deb xo
Julia Aston said…
This is just lovely Jennie - especially as it reminds you of your childhood - the crackle is gorgeous - and the layering of the napkin roses is beautiful! Truly special words for you! Julia xx
Gorgeous project and a great use for the discarded wood block.
Julie x
Annie said…
Yummy textures and the napkins look as though they were hand painted Jennie x love the sentiment which is so true xx
A great challenge theme

Hugs Annie x
Carol said…
GORGEOUS -love your block xxx
I think you were absolutely right to stick to the minimal look. Such a gorgeous, rustic piece of wood doesn't need much embellishment. I'm so envious of your wood-turning leftover possibilities! The sentiment looks wonderful over the crackle, and the roses are just lovely.
Alison x
Barbara said…
FAbulous alteration Jennie, wonderful interpretation of shabby style, love so much the crackle effect! barbara
sarascloset said…
Jennie, this is just beautiful, and I love the story behind your words. Now instead of that sweet card from your Nana, you can place your beautifully decorated block where you will see it every day, and be reminded of her. I love the soft roses and the embellishments are just perfect in their simplicity. You mentioned you layered the patterned napkin roses over top of themselves, but I'm curious why the bottom layers don't show through with the layers being so thin. I would love to try something like this--so inspiring. This is so beautiful, and I love your words! (oh, I've already said that!)!

I do have to laugh at your choice of substrate and the crackle--you will see why I'm laughing on Feb. 17 when you visit AVJ. Two great minds with two opposing end results!
Zelda said…
This is the most exquisite creation!! I love everything about it, it's perfect! Thank you for sharing - and you've inspired me to have a look at my napkin collection and make a project.