Forever Trinket Box


I am sure it will not have escaped your notice that I am on a bit of a roll with Eileen Hull's new Book Club dies and this latest die arrived a few days ago and I couldn't wait to start working with it! 




It is called Trinket Box and Frame and is a large XL Die so you need extended cutting plates to use it. I used a single sheet of Maja Design 12 x 12 patterned paper to make this project as it is  relatively easy to cut out the individual pieces for decoration after cutting the required pieces from mount board.

In the process of making the box I came up with a few ideas and tips which I will share below but before that here are a few more close ups:





So here are a few details and tips which might help when putting the box together. The photographs were taken on my phone, so not that great! and my desk is a mess as usual and my cutting matt filthy! (and this is the clean one!)




I made the box up and decorated the sides, but thought it would be nice to cover the inside with some lace. So I added a double length of red tape around the inside and stuck the lace to it.



It makes a nice finish to the inside of the box.



The spine is curved so I have cut the individual pieces from my patterned paper into strips so that the board still bends. 



Before sticking the box to the base I trimmed the side of the spine to match the corners of the box so it would sit better when stuck onto the base. 



I found that adding the inside layer to the box next made it far sturdier and easier to stick down onto the base. Now I had fully intended to add a piece of ribbon inbetween the box and the base, but totally forgot!



So I had to cut another base from grey cardstock to cover my ribbon!



I covered my front lid and this is the reverse side with the back of the photograph showing. I caught my other piece of ribbon here and then stuck it to the spine.



I was then able to cover this with another piece of cardstock to hide everything.



Here is the finished box and it all looks very neat inside.



I am not sure what I will use this box for or whether it will be a present for someone but I really enjoyed making it and it came together really quickly. It is a very sturdy little box and was very economical on patterned paper, so ideal for those "specials" which you don't want to cut into! I think it would also make a lovely special birthday card ...... my mind is buzzing as to further projects! 

Thank you so much for joining me today and in case you are wondering I do have another Eileen Hull project in the making! I will hopefully get some photographs tomorrow and share with you soon after.


Jennie x



Comments

This is absolutely gorgeous!! I love every detail about it. You’ve inspired me to play with the couple cuts I have sitting and waiting.
sarascloset said…
Be still, my heart! This is gorgeous, Jennie! Thank you for the tips, too! Hugs and happy weekend!
Beautiful Jennie, such an elegant design. Love the papers and your frontage. Tracy x
Unknown said…
Beautiful job, beautiful little box. A messy desk is a loved desk! Looking fiorward to your next project! The pictures look great! I love the vintage photo too!
Candy C said…
Jennie...this little trinket box is absolutely gorgeous. I totally love it's romantic vintage vibe. Such lovely soft colors and the vintage photo cradled in the flowers and flourish is precious. What an elegant job you've done on this little piece. I know Eileen has to be thrilled with how you showcased her fabulous die cut.
So pretty! The lace on the inside is genious!
eileen hull said…
Jennie, your Trinket Box is absolutely stunning. I love all the tips and details you shared to finish everything off so cleanly- will be borrowing some of them :-) And BTW I'll bet even your messy desk is pretty :-)
Julia Aston said…
What a beautiful box Jennie! Love the papers and cover decorations - thanks for the little tips in how you put this together! Julia xx
Pamellia said…
Absolutely gorgeous Jennie! I love the soft tones and the neutral palette, so wonderfully vintage! Your floral arrangement is lovely with the wood flourishes and the gorgeous rose! The gold edging is a wonderful finishing touch, so elegant! Amazing work with the new die! hugs :)