Melting My Heart (and other things ........)

Hello and welcome to our new challenge at A Vintage Journey where we are "melting" things! 




I am currently a bit hooked on making ATCs from my gelli plate experiments, so I thought this would make a good combination for experimenting with my embossing powders for this month's challenge. 

The lovely Julia is our host this month and she is asking us to

MELT IT !

Get out the UTEE (ultra thick embossing enamel), beeswax, encaustic wax, embossing powders or good old wax crayons and a heat tool and get melting to create something in a vintage; shabby; mixed media; art journalling; industrial, timeworn or steampunk style.



I started with an ATC background from one of my Gelli Plate experiments using PaperArtsy Fresco Chalk Paints. I have no idea what colours I used ! It is rather addictive and once I start I find it very difficult to stop! I have overstamped with some text.



Back in the "way back when" days I used to use gold embossing powders to edge my papers, so out came the Versamark which I dragged around the edges of the ATC and added gold embossing powder. I am amazed I haven't done this for ages - it looks really great!



With hearts in mind as it is February I thought I would alter a cardboard die-cut heart. Painted with PaperArtsy Very Berry Fresco Paint I added three coats of UTEE to get this wonderful finish. I love the fact that you can overstamp with Black Archival Ink once it is dry.



And then I wondered whether I could cover my old book paper with UTEE. It didn't work on the really thin paper but this sheet took the UTEE brilliantly. I love the colour!


Then it was a case of layering everything onto the ATC. 


I love the fact that ATCs are just little pieces of art packed with so many different techniques! I will never tire of making them. They are also great reference points when Mr Mojo goes for a wander!

You can find all the details of our challenge over at A Vintage Journey where you will also see a huge range of wonderful MELT IT techniques and projects by my fellow Creative Guides for this wonderful theme.



I do hope you will be able to join us this month - an ATC is all it needs!

Thank you for joining me and have a great weekend!

Jennie x

Comments

Julia Aston said…
What a beautiful ATC you 'melted' Jennie! Your Geli background is lovely (I think after seeing Anne Demo it so nicely we are all pulling out our Geli's!) Lovely colors and text over stamping - and gorgeous embossed gold edges - Your heart has such depth with the UTEE and so pretty with the stamping and gold edge - your little bloom and curled wire over the gauze are the perfect adornments for this "love' ATC! Thank you for joining in my challenge this month! Julia xx
Brenda Brown said…
Your gelli print background is the perfect backdrop for all the wonderful elements you have added to your ATC. I love the gold embossed edges and that beautiful glossy and gold edged heart is divine - perfect. xxx
Pamellia said…
So beautiful Jennie! I love the pink background with the script stamping and the honeycomb patterns! The gold edging is so elegant and creates a wonderful frame for the finished piece! Your heart is amazing, I love the glossy finish! What a wonderful Valentine creation! hugs :)
SewPaperPaint said…
What a timely challenge and your use of embossing here is just beautiful! I am a huge embossing fan and absolutely love these techniques and use them whenever I can. I adore your design. Big hugs, Autumn
Redanne said…
The gold embossed edges to your geli print look gorgeous Jennie and I love the beautiful embossed heart - this is a truly beautiful ATC! Hugs, Anne xx
Astrid Maclean said…
O Jennie, this is just stunning and I love, love, love your soft geli background!! The gold embossing around the edges makes for the perfect frame around the heart, fabulous!!!
Deb said…
That is so beautiful Jennie, your gelli plate background is gorgeous with the chalk paints and love your shimmering heart, always forget that I can stamp on top of the UTEE layers and it works so beautifully! The UTEE coated book paper is gorgeous, what a fabulous colour and the gold embossed edges of your ATC add a perfect touch of elegance. Thanks so much for sharing it, Deb xo
S@ndy Diller said…
This is truly impressive Jennie - I have not used my Gelli Plate nearly enough. You have inspired me. Hugs, S@ndy xx
Dortesjs said…
Beautiful, love your blog your art is great. have a great weekend
A Pink said…
So so beautiful ! Jennie . From your gelli print background , to your stamping, to your use of utee and embossing powder, to the collaging of all your perfectly selected elements I love it all. Exquisite .
Have a lovely weekend
hugs x
Nikki Acton said…
Beautiful things come in small packages! What a glorious ATC. The gold border, wonderful heart and utee'd book paper all arranged so wonderfully on your gelli print. Perfect xxx
Lys said…
From the soft background to the lovely heart I love everything in this ATC. The UTEE adds a strong effect and the golden edges are a great idea!
sarascloset said…
Jennie, your ATC just makes MY heart flutter! First off your gelli plate experiment background is stunning (I've yet to use my year old gelli plate!), and you had me at the embossed edging. But your UTEE heart and book paper with a bit of lace and flower all make for one wonderful work of MELT art! Thank you for your inspiration! Hugs!
Candy C said…
Jennie....this is so pretty. Such a lovely job of combining so many elements that have been melted in various manners. Love the touch of the book print layered in among the soft pinks and that gorgeous little UTEE heart. I think I recognize Andy's crackle stamp on that heart. :)
Lovely melted effects here on the book text as well as the magical heart, which looks almost translucent thanks to the stamping over the top of the UTEE. I love your Gelli background by itself too, especially with the "long lost" gold framing technique.
Alison x
Karen Dunbrook said…
so pretty..love the look of your bkg. great interest.
:) Karen
Annie said…
This is so beautiful Jennie and I just love that heart and your background looks amazing too

Hope you are keeping warm and cosy

Hugs Annie x
Beautiful ATC! I love the gold embossing around the edges and pretty heart - amazing 😁. Wishing you a happy new week! J 😊