How Can You Resist!

Hello Everyone! and welcome.

Our new challenge at A Vintage Journey is 

HOW CAN YOU RESIST

and the lovely Amanda is our host this month and the idea behind our theme is to use at least one resist technique in your project. There are many different products in mixed media that can be used - gesso, distress glaze, wax, embossing powder just to name a few. 

We hope this inspires you to get out your products and create - how can you resist?!


I seem to be a little obsessed with making mini books at the moment - so apologies that here is another one. Despite this being a real mini (3" x 3") I have managed to use quite a few resist techniques.



I started with a gesso resist on this small Tando Creatives Mini Book. 



The gesso was added haphazardly so that the inks would resist it in different ways.



Texture Paste used as a resist - after spraying with Distress Spray Inks I sanded the text to lighten and open up the lettering.



Embossing powder ...... hmmmm ....now you can see what a messy stamper I am! It didn't look too bad but the close up photograph shows me up!



And finally I used an embossing folder for the inside cover pages which again acted as a resist in the same way as the texture paste, but this time lightly brushed gesso over the raised areas.







We do hope that you will join us in our challenge this month and get out those wonderful resist products or check out all those wonderful techniques on Pinterest. If you are still in need of inspiration then DO hop on over to A Vintage Journey for all the details of our challenge and some amazing projects from my Creative Guide teamies. 


As always thank you for joining me and happy crafting!

Jennie x


Comments

Julia Aston said…
What a sweet little book Jennie! (glad you noted that it's just 3" x 3"!) Great resist techniques used with lovely soft colors - the flower, gauze and little tag adorn it perfectly! (the links over at AVJ on your project brings you back to AVJ - not here to see your lovely book!) Julia xx
Jennie Atkinson said…
Thank you Julia for your lovely comments and for telling me about the links. All sorted now! Jennie x
Paper Wishes said…
Can you see too many lovely book projects? that's a bit like too much chocolate or too many stamps! Love the colour you have used and the resists have given it a really interesting varied look but with a simple and subtle colour palette. x Amanda
Annie said…
Love your mini book Jennie x So full of wonderful techniques and details x Love the colour too ( reminds me of white ice cream when you have mixed in the raspberry sauce x ) Will be back for a closer look as I am getting ready for work x TFS and hugs x Have a lovely weekend
Annie x
Your mini book is delightful Jennie, I just love how the ink hugs the edges of those texture paste words. Beautiful technique and I quite like the organic look that embossing powder can give, those little extra speckles always add an extra touch of handmade. Thank you so much for sharing.
Creative Wishes Tracey.
Redanne said…
Jennie, your mini book is adorable and considering the size you managed some great resist techniques, the finished result is beautiful! Hugs, Anne xx
Deb said…
What a beautiful little book Jennie, filled with so many lovely resist techniques! Love the sanded texture paste, what a lovely effect and the random gesso resist gives such a wonderful colour variation. Thanks so much for sharing it, Deb xo
Nikki Acton said…
Me too! Love those Tando mini books :) This is wonderful Jennie... fabulous resist techniques and a perfect composition of all your gorgeous elements. Love the close too!
xx
A Pink said…
I do so love your creative style, Jennie .Your mini album is a delightful little treasure. You have 'resisted' so wonderfully and to such beautiful effect and just as you always do embellished so tastefully. Thank you for sharing and for joining in the challenge
Hugs x
Astrid Maclean said…
What a super little book Jennie, and as far as I am concerned, just keep them coming!
Great resist techniques and wonderful composition, love the shabby colours too, - just beautiful!
Just delightful. I love the distressed look created by the gesso resist - like old plaster stucco, and I think the extra spatters of embossing powder add to the look of the tag... nothing wrong with a little imperfection! The whole thing is so pretty.
Alison x
Ellie Knol said…
Gorgeous little booklet.. I was wondering what you used to get the lettering: a stamp? or stencil? What brand? Really love it !
Ellie Knol said…
Gorgeous booklet! I'd like to know what brand the text is.. a stencil I assume?
Ellie Knol said…
I'd love to get an answer from you on my question..
see above
Jennie Atkinson said…
Hi Ellie! sorry not to reply I've been in Norway and only now catching up. The text is from a stencil made by 13Arts. One of my favourites. Hope that helps. Jennie x
Ellie Knol said…
O, thanks Jennie.. I thought you just didn't lok whether people ask something :)
Ellie Knol said…
You know why I was so curious: I have this design with Magenta as a stamp; one day I woke up and wrote this down before I was going to forget it. And then I saw this creation of yours and thouhgt: she did not use my stamp, but what did she use... it looks very similar... what a coincidence. You can find the stamp here:
https://www.magentastyle.ca/store/product_info.php?products_id=15401&osCsid=t27ms4po8s8s9fqapar0b6euh3
I actually tried to make it so christians could find faith in it, a life never being fulfilled; it will be forever.