Tag Textile Experiments

Welcome to the last day of August ...... and over at A Vintage Journey it means we have an extra posting for you as there is an extra Friday in the month. We all love a Tag Friday as it means we get the chance to experiment or play around with new products.

Do make sure you hop on over to the blog to see what my other teamies have created.


For a while I have wanted to see how well napkins would adhere to canvas, so I decided to use this opportunity to experiment.

There are no step by steps as it was totally experimental and I had no idea if it would work.


The canvas is quite thick which allowed me to use a good coating of Dina Wakley's Gel Medium applying it both to the reverse of the napkin layer and the canvas.


I spent quite a bit of time smoothing everything out from the centre to the sides with small soft paintbrush and then left it to dry overnight.


All was well the next morning and the tissue had adhered well to the canvas. I added some texture paste over these layers before sewing the tag onto some kraft card. Despite cutting both the canvas and the cardstock using the same die the canvas had not cut so well and therefore it took a bit to line it all up, so more of the kraft cardstock is showing than I intended. A bit of extra zig zag stitching helps!


I didn't want to cover up the napkin so layered some of my usual embellishments at the lower end of the tag.


I love how the texture of the canvas shows through the napkin .....


... and by tearing the edges of the napkin even the darker parts seem to merge well into the canvas.


A worthwhile experiment and you might see more canvas and napkins in the future.

As always thank you for joining me. 

Have a lovely weekend.

Jennie x

Comments

Robin said…
brilliant idea - love your experiment!
Such a lovely tag - I'd say that experiment is s a complete success, and opens up lots of possibilities.
Alison x
Annie said…
A gorgeous feminine tag Jennie and I love the soft colour of the napkin against the canvas background.
Beautiful florals and stamped tags atop the ribbon x

TFS and have a great weekend

Annie xx
A Pink said…
Such a beautiful tag , Jennie and such a clever idea to adhere the napkin to canvas . Like you I l love how the canvas texture shows through and that you have let the napkin design truly shine .
Gorgeous and inspiring creativity Tfs

Have a lovely weekend
x
Paper Wishes said…
lovely details in this, the tiny tags especially. The napkin is so effective I love the faded vintage quality it creates. thanks for sharing your experiment I look forward to more napkins! x
Caty said…
This is a wonderful tag Jennie !! Absolutely adorable, and an amazing experiment with the napkin over the canvas!! Great !
I wish you a very nice afternoon, big hugs, Caty
Astrid Maclean said…
So soft and pretty!! Absolutely beautiful!!
Julia Aston said…

Well done with your experimental napkin technique Jennie! Not only is the napkin gorgeous - it also looks wonderful with the canvas texture showing through - Love all the little bits you added with the lace, button and tags - the stitched edge and stenciled words add great texture! Julia xx
sarascloset said…
What a lovely, feminine tag! Your experiment was a huge success, and I'm looking forward to seeing many more! I think the kraft peeking out adds to the overall shabby design. Well done! Hugs!
Redanne said…
That was most definitely a great experiment, the texture showing through the napkin is wonderful, it looks like the flowers were printed right on the canvas - really beautiful! Hugs, Anne xx
Marci said…
Beautiful! I like the little bit of crast card showing, I think it adds to the whole effect.