Time for Tea for Eileen Hull Designs

 Hello and welcome!

Today I am sharing some tips for making Eileen's Geometric Box (part of her Sizzix Chapter 4 Release). 


I made a very sturdy tea caddy which will make a lovely gift with some special tea bags inside. I also used the beautiful 3D Spoons Embossing Folder to decorate the plain papers - a great effect for such a simple technique.

The little door knob I found in our local hardware shop for £1.50. It is quite light and probably really for a small set of drawers, but I thought it would look great on top of the box!


The making of the box is pretty straight forward and you can see how Eileen has put it together by accessing the Video Party Release Video HERE (the tutorial for the box is at 1 hour 30 minutes in).

I decided to create my box first and then decorate with the papers cut separately, so here are a few tips if you want to go down that route.


I ran my paper (part of the 49 & Market Botanical set) through the Big Shot Pro and then cut off the tab edges of both pieces.


When you run it through the 3D Embossing Folder you do miss a piece at the end ......


.... however, this can be sorted by cutting out the individual pieces and then running the last little bit through the Embossing Folder. It was quite easy to get it to line up well.


I wanted a really sturdy lid as the little drawer knob was quite heavy. I cut two lid/base pieces from the die and then cut another by hand measuring 3 ¼" x 3 ¼".  I also cut two pieces from the blue paper, one to cover the lid/base and the other to cover the larger piece.


I glued the two smaller pieces together and then they in turn got glued to the larger cut piece.


This side view gives you an idea of how this looks ..... it creates a recessed lid which fits into the hole of the box but the lid sightly overhangs the edge.  Three layers in all. Hope that makes sense !!!



Once everything was glued together it was easy to find the central spot to make the whole for the ceramic knob.


I added a little bit of lace around the top edge.


And a simple little cluster on the front using this Ephemera Spoon from an old Tim Holtz Collection that has been sat in the drawer gathering dust!


This really is a very sturdy little box and I am sure I will be making others for the upcoming Christmas season. I also want to experiment with joining more pieces together to make a larger box - so many possibilities!

As always thank you for joining me and I hope there are a few tips here which you may find useful.

Jennie x

Eileen Hull products used:
 
Sizzix ScoreBoards XL Die - Geometric Box by Eileen Hull #666046
Sizzix 3D Textured Impressions Embossing Folder - Silverware by Eileen Hull #666047




Comments

Anonymous said…
I love this Jennie! So glad you like the die- thanks for the great tips on embossing and construction ❤️