Monday, 22 June 2015

Summer in a Vase

Summer for me are the bright colours of the flowers in my garden. Being so far north not a lot grows, but I love the reds of the poppies and the white of the cosmos and Snow in Summer which all nestle among the green leaves of the (yet to flower) montbretia, crocosmia and lilies. So as summer just hasn't got here yet I thought I would make a vase of my favourite flowers to brighten up the kitchen dresser.




I had great fun creating the individual flowers and I will show you here how I created the white cosmos type flowers and the poppies. I will link in another tutorial for the Snow in Summer lookalike otherwise you will be photo'd out!




 I cut my flower shapes from white cardstock. I used Stampin Up Whisper White card and the Spellbinders Rose Creations Die. Using a cotton bud I blended a little Fossilized Amber around the centre area, spritzed with water and scrunched them up. I let them dry overnight and then carefully opened them up.



For the centre of the flower I put some wire through a small button and then covered the button with some dark yellow vellum type paper.



I shaped the flower by pulling out the individual petals with a bone folder and then curling them around a knitting needle. Then I built up my flower adding a stamen cut from white cardstock.



I added a little bit of clear drying glue to the back.






While the glue was drying I cut some Holiday Greens in white cardstock and inked them with Mowed Lawn Distress Ink. (These really are all year round leaves!)



Then using florists tape start winding around the wire. Get a good grip at the top and as high as you can to the flower to get a neat finish.



As you progress down the wire you can add in the leaf.



And keep going until you reach the end of the wire, or add another piece of wire in if it is too short.



I really did feel as though I had blossoms growing on my craft desk! 



The poppies was created in exactly the same way but I layered three petals on top of each other and used Abandoned Coral to colour them (such a gorgeous colour!) and a black stamen



I used the smalls die from Donna Salazar's Bitty Blossoms set, inking with Fossilized Amber before rolling it up and then squishing the leaves together.

I do hope you like these flowers and will have a go yourself. I must admit they are brightening up a very grey day here!





I would like to enter my vase of summer flowers into the current challenge at Frilly and Funkie which is It's Summer.


Thank you for joining me today.

Jennie x



Click the link HERE for the Snow in Summer branches tutorial.


7 comments:

cheryltownley said...

Jenny, these flowers are absolutely exquisite! I am so inspired, and am itching to have a go at making some myself. I especially love how you have achieved such different looks from the same die. Stunning! You have made my day. I live in New Zealand, and we have just passed the shortest day, and it is bitterly cold, so like you, making some of these flowers will add a little brightness to my day. Cheryl

Artyjen said...

Another stunner of a flower ;)
xoxo Sioux

Nicole Wright said...

I just can't get over the fact these aren't picked from the garden! Come on you can tell me ;) WOW, so impressive. Thanks for sharing with us at Frilly and Funkie!

Aspiring crafter said...

Jennie, these are amazing , so beautiful !
Thank you for the inspiration
XxRuth

Astrid Maclean said...

Completely amazing Jennie, they look so life like and I just love the way you arranged them in the vase too! Please ignore my request for a tut on your latest post, I was working through them in backward order, - should have checked first, - duh.....
Anyway, thanks so much, I will definitely give these a try at some point!!

Buttons said...

STAGGERINGLY beautiful and completely realistic! You've taken flower making to a whole new level here Jennie! Thank you so much for playing along with us at Frilly and Funkie. Jenny x

Dr Sonia S V said...

So pretty. Have pinned it here:Flower making Tutorials
Cheers
Dr Sonia
Cards Crafts Kids Projects