Monotone Art Journalling


Good morning everyone! from a VERY windy Shetland. We are experiencing hurricane force winds at the moment and thankfully the power remains on so I thought I would sneak in this post as we have snow and more wind forecast tomorrow! The house is shaking a bit and it is very dark but it is nice and warm!

Poor weather and a car in the garage (failed MOT) have meant a few fabulous days crafting and I have enjoyed creating art journal pages in a new style. I am still quite new to mixed media art journalling and I wanted to try a page in monotone having been very inspired by the pages created by my lovely and very talented DT friend Alison of Words and Pictures.  I also had some new stamps to play with as well - courtesy of some friends doing a de-clutter! Plus I wanted the opportunity to enter the current challenge - Fresh Beginnings -  at the Artistic Trading Post as I have not had a chance so far. 



Unfortunately there are no step by step photos as it was so dark. I created texture with torn strips of paper and tissue tape and then gave everything a coat of gesso.  Crackle texture paste came next.




I did the same on the adjoining page, but I had no plan at this stage so a lot of the crackle paste on this page is covered up with my collage. All the collage pieces were stamped with Gathered Twigs and edged with Walnut Stain Distress Ink. I felt I needed a focal point amongst the browns so the lovely Gibson Girl was stamped in Arcival Black.




When everything was dry (it took a while) I overstamped with a text stamp here and there using Gathered Twigs Distress Ink.



I love this flower stamp from Artistic Outpost - one of my de-clutter purchases!



Finally I did some splattering again with some watery Gathered Twigs. However I had a bit of an accident and reached for what I thought was a piece kitchen towel to mop up but which was a wet baby wipe but what a surprise it worked fabulously taking the edge of the gesso off the paper which I was then able to blend a little Walnut Stain around. Happy accident indeed!




And the double page spread in my journal. 

Thank you for joining me today and I do hope you are getting better weather than us here. It is what expect living so far north but it is a little breezier than usual!


Jennie x


Comments

toni said…
These pages are gorgeous Jennie, love the layering and the monotone colour palette, great work! Happy new year to you, hope you are managing to stay nice and cosy up there! Thank you for joining our 'fresh Beginnings challenge at the ATP Exchange. Toni x
Meggymay said…
Gorgeous pages, love the two colour tones you used and the super textures. Thank you for joining us at ATP Exchange this time.
Yvonne
Marci said…
Beautiful pages, love the stamping!
Beautiful journal pages Jennie. Hope you still have power through this storm.
Julie x
Ruth said…
Absolutely gorgeous pages Jennie, beautifully put together and love the monotone look. Thanks so much for joining us at ATP Exchange. Ruth x
Redanne said…
I love this new style Jennie, the monotone looks wonderful, the layering is beautiful and I love that lady stamp that you have used - beautiful pages!

Hope the weather has died back a bit... Anne xx
Jenny Marples said…
A beautiful way to experiment with this genre and the monotone look works perfectly. Love it! Stay safe (and warm). Jenny x
ionabunny said…
Love your pages. Such great layering. We have those winds as well, here in Norway. The house is quivering and shivering. It's wild. Be safe. Hugz
Astrid Maclean said…
Absolutely STUNNING Jennie, both sides look amazing, - thanks so much for the inspiration!! And what a great use of a windy winter day!
Beautiful journal pages. I just found your blog via Pinterest, your artwork is fantastic. Shirleyx
Unknown said…
Lovely pages Jennie, the colours and feel of the page is so calm. Is that a Dylusions are journal?
Hugs
Georgie xx
Love this page Jennie, and especially the colours, soft and soothing.
Great stamps and design.
I have lost my crafting mojo a bit since flu, Christmas and painting and tidying !! But whenever I see your creations a bit of it comes back!
XxxRuth
Julia S-W said…
Stunning page spread Jennie. The layering is superb and I love how some elements disappear into the background whilst others are thrust forward and lead the eye in. The monotone palette is perfect too. The de clutter flower stamp is to be envied! Journalling scares me so I admire this even more!! Thanks so much for sharing with us at Artist Trading Post Exchange this time.
Juliaxx
(glad to hear that as of Saturday you had power and warmth! take care.)
Hettie said…
This is fabulous. Love it. So moody.
Hugs
xx
Jennie, Gibson girl caught my attention first and later I was drooling over the page. She looks fantastic on your vintage journal page. Yes, I can see hint of Alison's style in your journal, but you have created your own beauty.
Beautiful composition and great use of white space. I am totally inspired. Thanks so much for sharing.
Absolutely beautiful, beautiful choice of colour and materials, its so calm and elegant. Really really lovely!
Julia Aston said…
Your pages are lovely in the tans Jennie! great images and textures - I hope you weather has settled down a bit!
Brenda Brown said…
Just delightful, I adore the layouts and designs. Thanks for so much creative inspiration xxx
I'm absolutely loving your monotone art journalling, Jennie, and now I find I played a part in starting you off - what a thrill! There's the advantage of catching up backwards!! This may be my favourite spread of all - just beautiful.
Alison xx
sarascloset said…
Jennie, What a lovely spread this is! You do the most beautiful work, and this is right there at the top of my list! I am so inspired by this fabulous art journal entry, that I might just have to step out of my comfort zone and give it a try! Love this!
sarascloset said…
I forgot from whence I came! Congratulations of your Top pick at Artist Trading Post! Good for you!