Felt and Embroidery Wallets

Hello and welcome! Last weekend we had some horrible dreicht cold weather, so I decided to cut some felt, unearth all my embroidery silks and snuggle up on the settee embroidering felt wallets.


I have used Eileen Hull's Notebook and Tiny Book Dies to cut the books and the flowers and leaves were cut from her Stitchy Flowers and Leaves Thinlits set.


My favourite is this little wallet. It was the last one I made and I was really into remembering some of the embroidery stitches taught at school ..... ! 


I have anchored these little flowers by creating a star and then embroidering around the star - no idea what the stitch is called but it is an under and over technique!


For the larger flowers I have also used french knots and little stitches to look like flowers.


And used the same pieces to create a little design inside. I found the little pink fabric covered button in my sewing button box .... as opposed to my craft button box!


I have used Eileen's Tiny Book die for this little wallet. I have used the same star and over and under technique and dyed seam binding to create the rose. Scroll down for a photographic tutorial.


I used white silk ribbon to create little ribbon clusters. Again scroll down for the tutorial.


This wallet was cut using the Notebook die and I have used leaves from Eileen's Journalling Cards, Flowers and Leaves Thinlits Die. Again I have used the ribbon cluster technique to create a cascade of flowers which helps to anchor the leaves.

As always thank you for joining me and I hope this might inspire you to get out your sewing bits and bobs and have a go yourself. It is very satisfying and made a lovely change from knitting.

Jennie x

_____________________

Blue Ribbon Rose using dyed seam binding:







White Ribbon Clusters





When I am doing the blanket stitch around the edges I always start somewhere where there is a double piece of felt. I cut a complete piece to cover the embroidery of the cover, so started at the top pin. I had enough thread to get around to the bottom corner. And then start another to take me over the single piece and to the small pocket I had on the other side. I hope that makes sense! That way you can always anchor the beginning and end behind another piece of felt.


The books like better when you take some of the bulk out of the felt lining. So when lining the inside of the wallet I cut away the piece behind the pocket plus a little bit more so that the felt can fold up easily.




Comments

AuntieGT said…
Fabulous Jennie, thank you for sharing..,I must find my seam binding ribbon and give that gorgeous rose a go....x
These are charming, Jennie - such a pretty effect with the florals against the blue-grey felt. Your seam-binding rose is a stunner! Gorgeous stitching trim too.
Alison x
Oh, and dreicht is a wonderful word for the weather we've been having too!
Annie said…
WOW !! I am blown away by your beautiful wallets and the fabulous stitched details on the leaves and flowers.... Love them xx

Sending hugs and best wishes
Annie xx