Creating with Sizzix Cork Surfacez for Eileen Hull Designs

 Hello and welcome!


Recently Sizzix asked some of us on Eileen Hull's Inspiration Team to create with their Cork Surfacez. It comes on a roll 6" by 48" and so is a good size to create a journal. 


I decided to put it through it's paces and stamped, inked, machine stitched and die cut with it. 


It was splendid ! whatever I wanted it to do it did it.


I used a lovely set of stamps by Raquel at PaperArtsy ESC34 and the cork took the Archival ink well both on the cork side and the reverse.



This short flip through video will give you some idea of the individual pieces.


I used Eileen's Skinny Mini Book Box (details below) to create the covers and stuck the cork onto the board using Sizzix Adhesive Sheets before die cutting.


For the right inside pocket I cut a piece of the cork 6 ¾" x 6 ¾" and scored it at 2 ⅞ " to create the pocket. I cut a further piece measuring 6 ¾" x 2" to cover the reverse of the cork. I used a circle punch to create the cutout for the pocket.



For the left hand side my measured piece of cork was 6 ¾" x 9 ¾" which I scored at 3 ¾" and 6 ¾".


When this is folded in on itself it creates a pocket down the left hand side.


I used my sewing machine to stitch around the edges holding the fold in place and also added a middle band which created the two individual pockets and the tuck spot.


Before glueing down the centre panel of cork I added a little roll of cork stitching it down well for the pen holder.


I love the way the inside provides space for a neat little purchased notebook (5½ "x 3½"), the pen, my rail and bus travel cards and a little space for stamps.


I decorated the front cover with a rectangle piece of the cork, stamping on the reverse, and then layering small stamps from Raquel's stamp set. Some are glued on and others sewn on.

I hope this has given you some ideas of what you can do with this wonderful cork from Sizzix!
My Travellers Journal is very sturdy but still small enough to fit into my hand bag, so I know I shall be using it regularly.

If you want more inspiration for the Cork and then hop on over to Eileen Hull Designs  where other team members have shared their projects.

Jennie x

Products used:
Sizzix/Eileen Hull Scoreboards XL Skinny Mini Book Box #665982
Sizzix Surfacez 6" x 48" Cork Roll #665922




Comments

eileen hull said…
Beautiful journal Jennie! The cork really does stand up to stitching- it’s stronger than I thought it would be but a great neutral background for lots of techniques. Love the video flip through!