A Box of Dreams




I thought I would share one of my Christmas present makes today - a decorated hexagonal box for my friend Marion. 

I bought the paper mache box from Hobbycraft and it needed a good coat of gesso before I could start decorating it.  After the gesso dried I inked all the edges and corners with Vintage Photo Distress Inks and then set about cutting the papers. 
 
 
I used these gorgeous Pion Design Lilly of the Valley papers (Marion loves anything green!)  After carefully drawing out the correct size hexagon I realised that all six sides were unequal and therefore had to resort to drawing around the box and adjusting everything as best I could!
 
 
 
I had great fun decorating the top.  I used Distress Crackle Paint on the Tim Holtz Birdcage Die and made the white flower from handmade paper and a mixture of Donna Salazar flower dies. 
The green flower is from a Prima Woodland set which I have had for ages and didn't like.  I bunched a couple together and added a few stamens and glued it well and it kept it's shape.  I shall certainly be using these up now!
 
And the inside ...........
 
 
 

And a small card to go with it .....
 
 
She loved it!
 
 
And her hubby got a steampunk bookmark! This is the first time I have laminated a number of layers for a bookmark and it worked well, although I had to put it through the laminator a few times.
 
Thanks for visiting and I hope this first Monday back to normal after the Christmas and New Year break is not too difficult!  It really is great being retired!!!
 
 
 
 
 
 

 

Comments

chrissie said…
The box is very pretty and what a lovely idea to make a book mark for her husband as well-great steam punk images and colours on that.

Love Chrissie xx
Margaret said…
Your gift box is so beautiful! I love the Lily of the Valley paper and the top is lovely! The bookmark is fabulous! I never tried laminating my hand made bookmarks...I think I need to try this next time!